At last, double figures!(just)

Passionforangling

After several fairly frustrating outings of bags around 7/8 I decided yesterday morning to visit a field I hadn't shot this winter but had heard from the farmer that there were pigeons on the rape.

I got there just after first light and watched a good line developing but another shooter was already under that line so I settled for a spot in the inside corner of this L shaped field. It's a good spot usually with an oak behind and another about 50 yards in front.

I only had a few fud decoys and a couple of floaters so set them up in the hope the pigeons would be fooled into thinking these birds had dropped down from the oak. Well, the pigeons weren't fooled at all and wouldn't decoy, instead flying pretty high just over the oak. I stayed for about 3 hours and managed 11. ( yippe!, first double figures for ages)

Not a great bag, but enough to pop some meat in the freezer. What I did enjoy was the shooting, because in the strong wind the birds were pretty high and travelling like rockets so it was an enjoyable few hours and I was pleased with 11 for probably near to 50 shots.

One day, maybe, I'll learn the art of decoying!!

Well done, mate! It certainly makes you feel good! Most of it boils down to just being in the right place at the right time. I got my first century bag last year. You just have to keep at it and one day, by the very law of averages, it'll happen. One word of advice, if you don't mind me saying: don't just sit there and watch pigeons go past. Change the decoy pattern and see what happens. You'll be amazed at what a difference it can make to how the birds react. Bouncers or no bouncers; L shaped, 2 blobs or u shaped pattern; whirly on or whirly off, for example. Good luck, keep it up!

You will not need that large holdall for a while yet then.

That sort of shooting is better than any decoying in my book.

I agree, flighting pigeon is far better than Decoying in my opinion. First light going then go back in the afternoon when there going home, normally around November is best round here when there after the beech mast.

Sounds like a great few hours, I also love this type of shooting, sometimes I leave all my kit in the truck and just take two floaters with two birds (always keep a few in the garage freezer) just to get the flighting birds interested... Don't shoot big numbers this way but most shots are a challenge so it becomes addictive...

Keep it up

Tedly