17hmr

adi786

Slow ignition is another issue I've had a handful of times. You pull the trigger and hear the click but no bang for half a second, I've also had non ignition (more common in 22lr).

It goes without saying, with the former just keep the rifle pointing at your target, with the latter point the rifle in a safe direction, count to 30 and then slowly extract the bolt and eject the case.

I've found with rounds that fail to ignite but show clear evidence of having been struck, that if replaced and rotated so that the pin strikes a fresh part of the rim, they work as normal.

hi guys,

just after some input, i haven't used much 17hmr, but couple weeks back i zeroed it at around 75 yards, last time i went out and it was quite windy, put a target at 100 yards and i had no clue where the bullet was going, put a wider board and found out they are going around 6-8 inches right of the bulls eye, i still believe that it should;nt be a wind effecting that much at 100 yards, must be something happen to my zero. What you guys think how much a wind would effect 17hmr at 100 range say you shooting straight down the line and wind is pretty strong from left to right?

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rimfire.aspx?id=367

It lists as 3.3" drift at 100 yards with 10mph crosswind with 17g V-Max.

That falls about in line with my general findings. If you are 6-8" adrift at 75 yards its either Gale force or other factors are coming into play.

:good:

Slow ignition is another issue I've had a handful of times. You pull the trigger and hear the click but no bang for half a second, I've also had non ignition (more common in 22lr).

It goes without saying, with the former just keep the rifle pointing at your target, with the latter point the rifle in a safe direction, count to 30 and then slowly extract the bolt and eject the case.

I've found with rounds that fail to ignite but show clear evidence of having been struck, that if replaced and rotated so that the pin strikes a fresh part of the rim, they work as normal.

Iv had a few rounds not fire and like you say, reload them and they usually work fine.

Had my first ever slow ignition tonight. Took me by surprise - 10 years with the HMR and I don't know how many rounds. I look over most shells when I empty my pocket after being out, and you get the odd split but nothing too bad. The slow-ignition is the worst split case iv ever seen! Yet to have a bullet jamm...

• 2 weeks later...

Can't find anybody who stocks the pink tips. I'd like to give them a try if they're better in the wind.........could use a felt tip pen I suppose, but would that have the same effect because they wouldn't be real pink tips, just another colour masquerading as pink tips?

Who cares the colour... it's what they do to rabbits/crows is all that matters!

Best thing I ever did to improve consistent accuracy when I had the HMR, and ensure consistent 200 yd kills was to sell it and buy a 223 :yahoo: . I know it might lack the laser trajectory and probably wont have charlie quaking in his boots at 200 yds, nor can I get any satisfaction boasting of 200 yds rabbit or crow strikes, but when I did use the HMR I liked to keep a bingo card handy and shout "house!" when after 20 shots I eventually used its laser accuracy to bowl a crow over (and never ever mentioned the half a box of rounds used to deliberately miss stuff beforehand ;) ).

Joking apart, it can be a handy and useful little round, but people shouldn't be under any illusions as to its limitations. Shoot it within its limitations and use ammo it likes that you can reliably get stocks of, and there's no problem. I found that ballistic apps etc to be little use and simply went out and made my own. With each batch, zero'd to 100yds, I worked out drop from the average of 5 shots at 20 yd intervals (still weather) to 200 for my rifle. Also found that wind deflection was a little more than suggested by apps, suggesting that MVs were a little lower in my rifle, but rarely was I able to get consistency from ammo and also had issues with spent rounds refusing to eject. Regular cleaning back to bare metal was a must. It's a small bore and as the barrel fouls with copper wash it takes sweet F/A to start opening groups up as the bore tightens. That was my experience anyway.