Having a dabble with a lee loader

Tonight I finally got myself sorted to have a play with my lee loader. To a none reloader reloading looks very complicated and mystical. So after reading and researching I carefully I had a go tonight. And it was positively fun! The Lee loader is a piece of cake to use, the only addition was a set of digital callipers to check OAL. I've knocked up 15 243 rounds in around 35 minutes. Using a 62grain bullet over H4895 powder measured with the dipper I've got 3/4 of a box of ammo that definitely looks the part. Things I noticed was tipping in the powder very slowly stops the static and giving the loader a few taps with the priming rod makes sure all the powder trickled into the case, the dipper although perfect for what I'm doing at the minute is very dependant on me making sure it's exactly the same every time so I will eventually upgrade to scales. For £30 I'd recommend it to anyone that wants to have a go at reloading. And I'd recommend to anyone that shoots reloadable calibres to have a go at reloading as it's very satisfying. Just got to wait to shoot them tomorrow now!

I cannot say I am familiar with rifle reloading but its sounds like a recipe for disaster not weighing the charge, initially at least .

I certainly cannot dip two shotgun charges the same and rely on scales.

Edited by fenboy

I cannot say I am familiar with rifle reloading but its sounds like a recipe for disaster not weighing the charge, initially at least .

I certainly cannot dip two shotgun charges the same and rely on scales.

It's fine mate once a technique is established.

Vast amounts of cartridges, metallic and shot shells are charged volumetrically.

Fenboy I completely accept that it is not as accurate as weighing every single pt of a grain and that it requires a lot of care and attention and consistent technique. However lee is an American company. And Americans favourite past time after shooting stuff is suing people. I really don't think lee would risk a law suit would they?

So I rushed through my jobs this morning and at 930 sacked off the rest of my work...the benefits of being the boss! Went across the farm to try out the new ammo. I've still got all my appendages and good looks so stage one went well - nothing blew up that wasn't supposed to detonate and the bits of metal that were supposed to come out the end of the barrel did just that.

Accuracy wise they were shooting a bit low at 150yds. I put that down to firstly the gun is zeroed with 55gr bullets and these are 62gr and secondly the dipper throws a conservative load of powder which I felt with reduced recoil. After firing a few a crow decided to join the party at 125ish yds. He was separated from his lower half.

The best part i felt was that for the investment and cost I didn't mind going and shooting 3/4 of a box of ammo. Unlike shooting factory ammo where it brings tears to your eyes watching £1.25 go zinging down range and miss what you were shooting at. The downside is I feel I'm going to get the reloading bug!