17 Hornet - AA1680 anyone got Quickload?

Primer Choice

The only real surprise I have found with this caliber is with the primers. Initially, I bought into the idea of mild primers being best for such small charges of powder. As I experimented, however, I found that hotter primers such as the CCI BR-4, Federal 205, and Remington 7.5BR shot better and provided more consistent internal ballistics.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/17-hornet-powders-and-primers-reloading

and..

...Slight overcharges will probably cause leaking primers, so it’s a good idea to err on the cautious side. Also, thick cup primers such as the Remington 7-1/2 and CCI 450 should be used exclusively. Since 1972 all CCI 400 and 450 primers have been made with .023” cups and while the hotter 450 Magnum primer is not needed to ignite the small powder charges in the .17 Hornet I thought its extra brisance worthwhile to ignite heavily compressed charges. Standard small-rifle primers are likely to pierce or “biscuit cut” the firing pin indent.

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/news/reloading-the-17-hornet

treetop,

You won't need form dies. Take the bullet seater out of your seating die and run a piece of 22 brass through it. That will get you most of the way there. Then run it through the sizer to set the shoulder and load it. As long as you set the sizer so that the shoulder is in the right place for your chamber, the case will fireform to the chamber. No need for an additional die. I think I've lost 3 of 200 hundred brass forming it this way and it was always too much lube.

thanks,

rick

Hodgdon Lil'Gun is excellent powder.

But it can be VERY variable batch to batch and pretty temperature sensitive, not really a powder for a novice reloader if that is indeed what the guy is.

I use N120 in my 17AH which is a pretty similar caliber but a slightly longer case. Pathdocs info above is good but in my rifle I cannot go above 10.0gr without showing pressure signs,

Just be very careful with this case, only increase your loads 0.1gr at a time.

A

• 1 month later...

Quick update for anyone interested!

AA1680(actually lovex do63 now) arrived yesterday!

Loaded rounds last night starting at 10gr and moving up to 12.2 gr

Nipped out thisevening to try them out, this is definitly the best powder so far.

Ended up with first signs of pressure at 12 grains(bolt geting a bit sticky) for 3700fps! So stopped there!

Set up the targets and tried a few more running from 11.4 to 11.8!

Of these the 11.6 shot the best, although the wind was strong so will do some more testing to confirm!

Load for now

20 gr Vmax

11.6 grains

@ 1.720 OAL

Running at 3550 fps

Keep us posted how the 120 turns out!

Aye im more than happy with 3550fps could probably run it a bit faster but dont see the point!

Had 7 rabbits today that wernt impressed!

Are you hunting with your fireform loads mick?how do they shoot?

Id heard the 1680 was dirty aswell but i thought it was very clean much better than the H110!

Er

Edited by Euget123

Yes, hunting with the fire form loads, they're okay, the groups aren't terribly tight, around 1' at 100 yards. which is to be expected as the case simultaneously expands, jumps back at the neck and forms the shoulder whilst spitting a bullet but I've managed to shoot about 60 rabbits (and missed narrowly 5) at substantially better ranges than the HMR and flopped a fox at 115 yards no problem at all. The groups tend to be tight with the odd round opening up in either direction, so a five shot group can end up being a little wider than a two or three shot group.

Speed is 3000 with 9.8gn and 3200 with 10gn, however with the faster fire forming load I got the occasional split on the shoulder.

The formed cases look perfect though, and the annealer has worked brilliantly.

Edited by mick miller

Try different COL , I found I get a better group with 1.740 & 1.765 was good.

There was a slight drop in fps but that is to be expected ( more room in case ) , careful tho,

Check your head space / jump to lands... As if you sit them too deep in the throat the pressure will go up if it touches ,

About .10 to .20 is a good jump. But you may find your rifle is different.

I am limited by mag size, as 1.765 is the longest I can get in a mag