Airgunner,talks Shotgun chokes

First off i better say i know very little about Shotguns ,the sum of my knowledge is, Single Barrel,side by side, over an under, semi auto, an barrels need proofing, So here i am reading some shooting mag ,when i come across Chokes you can fit to a barrel, Could someone explain how the work/fit. Look at the question from a compleat novice type,(me) I cant see the Chokes going on the end of the barrel, They would be blown off an i guess a lip inside,that leaves the choke being fitted from the (loading end) um how can you put a cartridge in? That now leaves a gun specifically made to take the choke,s leading to the barrels not needing proofing only the chokes ,? guessing i have this all cocked-up.

A choke is the degree of restriction at the muzzle end of the barrels. They range (in simple terms) from no restriction to a tight restriction. The tighter the restriction means the shot will stay together for longer resulting in a higher pellet hit count of the quarry or clay meaning you have a high chance of the quarry been killed cleaning or clay being broken cleanly. If you shoot at 50 yard bird with a cylinder choke (no restriction at all) then the shot pattern will have opened up so much there is a chance that the bird will just fly through the pattern.

Flip that over to a full choke (tightest) you will have a higher chance of placing a lot more pellets on the bird because the shot pattern has been kept much tighter over that 50yards.

A multi choke shot gun at the muzzle end is slightly thinner in its wall so that when the choke is installed it meets the bore and there is a perfect fit between bore and choke - no lip it's simply smooth.

Hope this helps.

Someone correct anything I've said wrong if I have done so :)

Atb

Dave

Many thanks Dave,just a push fit then?

Nope! the muzzle ends of the shotgun barrels are machined with an internal recess partially threaded in order to house a correspondingly threaded screw in tube (choke tube) of various constrictions. Edited by panoma1

Some guns are multichoke which means they have a threaded part on the muzzle that allows different chokes to be fitted, others are fixed choke which means the construction at the muzzle is what it is when it leaves the factory. One of my guns has no choking at all (cylinder in both barrels) and the other us full choke and cylinder. I am equally poor with both guns so really I wouldn't worry about choke too much until you are good enough for it to matter. I'm still waiting.

all of the above is true, except the screw in choke is a few thou less then the internal barrel diameter so no chance of a lip protruding, when viewed from the muzzle you will see a ring where the choke meets the barrel recess, when viewed from the breach you dont see anything but a clean barrel(hopefully)