Where to set up....? Rape or overwintered stubble?

ShropshireSam

Been round my permissions for a reccy over last two days at various times looking for somewhere to set up as have to take some time off work before April. Have a couple of rape fields been hit but when I sit and watch the fields no traffic into the fields and when I move them off they go as one flock and don't come back .... so no point bothering with them. I have spotted a neighboring field of overwintered stubble with good numbers on it and a good flightline in. Dilemma is - do I try to get permission on this when all my neighboring permissions want me protecting their rape?

Have beans and peas drilled today so should hopefully get some action on them if the pigeons find them. Never seen big numbers on spring drilling round here since I started shooting four years ago. I think the modern precision drills have reduced pigeon activity on spring drillings.

I think maybe the seed coatings are reducing the number on the newly sown crops. For me the rape has been same as your experience one shot and off they go, or there is so much choice they move over the fields. Beans have been good last week or so but here mostly blacks rather than greys. The Barley has just gone in and is shooting well so off to try some more in the morning.

Been round my permissions for a reccy over last two days at various times looking for somewhere to set up as have to take some time off work before April. Have a couple of rape fields been hit but when I sit and watch the fields no traffic into the fields and when I move them off they go as one flock and don't come back .... so no point bothering with them. I have spotted a neighboring field of overwintered stubble with good numbers on it and a good flightline in. Dilemma is - do I try to get permission on this when all my neighboring permissions want me protecting their rape?

Have beans and peas drilled today so should hopefully get some action on them if the pigeons find them. Never seen big numbers on spring drilling round here since I started shooting four years ago. I think the modern precision drills have reduced pigeon activity on spring drillings.

Absolutely no point sitting on a rape field if you have little chance of a few shots. I go pigeon shooting to kill pigeons. Go with the option that you think will get you the most shooting.