Side by side firing pin replacement

Si-Bore

A friend has an old side-by-side. One of the firing pins has just smashed in it. I was trying to remove the striker disks but they are so stuck in. Does anybody have the correct tools in order to remove these?

I was hoping to be able to help him out as his gun is only worth £40 so both worth giving to gunsmith.

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Si

You can make a tool from an old flat screwdriver, make sure the width of the blade is as wide or wider than the outside edge of the two small holes in the disc.

With a small file, file away the centre of the blade leaving two small towers, now round these off until they fit the holes in the disc, job done.

Well not quite! The firing pin is more than likely stepped at different diameters, so you will need access to a lathe.

post-28535-0-90267800-1459957228_thumb.jpg

Disc set strikers can be VERY hard to remove. Some have a locking screw (sometimes doubling as a gas vent) that has to be slackened first (common on AyAs). I suspect any tool you

make will need to be hardened to work. Not all are on the same spacings. Brownells (USA) do an adjustable tool (top left in old'un's photo above).

Edited by JohnfromUK

My disc keys are 12" long big handled and had a flat on the shaft to take a spanner .I also found that deepening the holes in the disc first often helped to get a good purchase . Discs can come out without much effort but can be right swines . If they wont come straight out seek advice as it is very easy to ****** them up and one the holes are distorted there is little you can do to make them look any better. .

My disc keys are 12" long big handled and had a flat on the shaft to take a spanner .I also found that deepening the holes in the disc first often helped to get a good purchase . Discs can come out without much effort but can be right swines . If they wont come straight out seek advice as it is very easy to ****** them up and one the holes are distorted there is little you can do to make them look any better. .

The farmer has already had a go for the young lad and made a mess already!! I can't make them any worse than they are right now.