Artillery shell ID please.

VULTURE

I once found one of these cases of not a slightly different one (howitzer) shell on the Somme Northern France got it all nicely cleaned up now :) was one of my best finds since having been going from a really young age. The one I found was 1916 dated possibly says 6inch? Not looked at it in a few years so can't fully remember

My dad died 4 weeks ago and when I was clearing his house I found a huge shell similar to that one. It was by his fire and he used it to keep the poker in.

I'll have a look at it when I'm back from work and post a photo of it, really is quite some size. Couldn't bare to throw it away, as it had sat by his fire as long as I have been alive and I remember looking at it as a little boy

Millions of them were brought back as souvenirs after hostilities finished. Many claiming to be the last round fired in the war!

Most of them were etched with pictures of Brittania or similar heroic persons and pictures.

Must be thousands of them still in circulation even allowing for the high scrap values of bygone years.