Beaten price for Chippy work

winnie&bezza

I tell people they can get a job done right, they can get a job done cheap, but if they get a job done right cheap, prepare for problems.

On the money. The thing is that the MDF doors I had to re-do were in the loft conversion so it had a skeiling (for those who don't know it's where the roof rafters are plasterboarded to create a ceiling/wall) and one of the doors had to have a corner cut off it on the left hand side about 125mm along the top and 60mm down the side so it didn't hit the skeiling. Now they hung it on the side the corner was cut off so it only opened about 45 degrees due to hit hitting the skeiling and any good chippy knows that no matter how much angle you cut off it will only open 90 degrees with a square top of door. Also the gaps around door weren't parallel and looked carp. So I said to her I needed to either hang it on the other side or cut the door at the bottom of the angle so the door is shorter with a square top but the big I cut off is a small fixed panel and keep it hung the original way. She said start again and make new doors and hang it the other way. So they've had people who don't know what they are doing before and you would of thought they would of learnt their lesson. Or they used me for ideas to tell the odd job man haha.

I'm with the whole 'more money they have the tighter they are' plenty like that around here but they still end up spending more by paying for bad work three times!

I agree with Mung though, I think it's gone through the company and one quite often people with those kind of assets are rich on paper but have zero cash!

Edited by ben0850

Some jobs you quote your never meant to get they are just checking their guy ain't ripping them off or similar

You can never be sure whats going on in their minds can you? People don't always go for the cheapest, some people actually go for the dearest believing it must be a better job if it costs that much.

My ex-wife worked for a dry rot/ damp/ woodworm company and the bloke who owned it would just quote silly prices, think of a number and double it type silly prices, but people paid. He would always be the dearest

I'm with the whole 'more money they have the tighter they are' plenty like that around here but they still end up spending more by paying for bad work three times!

I agree with Mung though, I think it's gone through the company and one quite often people with those kind of assets are rich on paper but have zero cash!

You will find the clever rich don't have a lot of cash as it ain't working for them and making money.

It's usually in assets or investments. If it ain't making money they don't buy it or want to spend much on it.

You can never be sure whats going on in their minds can you? People don't always go for the cheapest, some people actually go for the dearest believing it must be a better job if it costs that much.

My ex-wife worked for a dry rot/ damp/ woodworm company and the bloke who owned it would just quote silly prices, think of a number and double it type silly prices, but people paid. He would always be the dearest

One of the jobs we are working for the firm I work for is for a couple we've done work for for about 13 years. Its a very old large Tudor house and we have created a larger room downstairs by knocking a couple of walls down and taken this decorative oak panel off the walls and uncovering the large original fireplace. The ceilings are mostly visible oak joists with plasterboard inbetween but on the section in front of someone had just plasterboarded overthrow beams. We took the ceiling down and the oak joists were covered in a black substance which we think could of been spot residue from the open fire from years gone by. We tried sanding it but no chance so they found a company that cleans them with a silicon based shot blasting. Two bloke came and the company charges £350 a day for them each so £750! They were only there til 2.

Exactly.

I think you're all missing the practicalities of the situation - sounds like the company will be getting the invoice or the job added to a company account one way or another.

As for the pricing quoted - seems fair to me, but I suspect it wasn't the actual price per se that formed the basis of the decision.

Along with Piper.

Down here a coy man operated a coy pond.

No you can't after a while you know they are lying to you but you don't ever know exactly why

After a time you get fair good at educated guesses though lol