Doctors Strike

Vince Green

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying that anyone who works in a position where the public would be affected by their absence shouldn't be allowed to strike? That means anyone in those jobs can be shafted by their employers with no recourse to the actions those employed in different jobs are able to do. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Should the military be allowed to strike? Genuinely interested in your opinion.

Edited by Sou'Wester

Not sure why I tried to post a reasoned explanation , a waste of 5 minutes obviously seeing the dumb response . Taking a spell away , it might be catching .

If you are talking about the Liverpool Pathway there was a building weight of evidence that it was being used inappropriately in some cases. There were far too many concerns for it to be allowed to continue.

Not all members of the military take an oath of allegiance but that's just me being pedantic. Your right in as much as they could be convicted (probably under mutiny laws), but if they're on strike, why follow the order to return to work? and who would enforce it?

From a practical perspective why would the military striking be significantly different or less reasonable than junior doctors or the police? Public sector workers after all.

Definitely not. They take an oath of allegiance. If they were to go on strike they would be ordered back to work. Failing to do so would be a convictable offense within military law.

Do our doctors not take a oath upon qualification to preserve life at all costs??

I do not think such an oath dismisses your right to strike. The doctors feel that such a contract is damaging to the future of heath care, making doctors work increasing long hours and chipping away at a heath care system which is free at the point of use is a valid reason to strike in my book. The same way I would not knock military personnel for striking if there pay was being reduced by 30% and the equipment they were being given was substandard to the opposition.

Edited by zipdog

Not all members of the military take an oath of allegiance but that's just me being pedantic. Your right in as much as they could be convicted (probably under mutiny laws), but if they're on strike, why follow the order to return to work? and who would enforce it?

From a practical perspective why would the military striking be significantly different or less reasonable than junior doctors or the police? Public sector workers after all.

Well I would suspect that either they`d return to work or find themselves arrested by the MPs. Barring virtually total support for the action some other branch of the military would have to step in to police it. It`s highly unlikely anyway, soldiers are taught to follow orders largely without question. If the military was ever going to refuse to obey orders imo it would have been in WWI when going over the top. The fact they didn`t rather proves that it is unlikely it will ever happen.

The difference is that most people sign a contract that gives them certain responsibilities at work. They do not sign an agreement that says if they disobey an order they may be arrested and imprisoned.

Do our doctors not take a oath upon qualification to preserve life at all costs??

I do not think such an oath dismisses your right to strike. The doctors feel that such a contract is damaging to the future of heath care, making doctors work increasing long hours and chipping away at a heath care system which is free at the point of use is a valid reason to strike in my book. The same way I would not knock military personnel for striking if there pay was being reduced by 30% and the equipment they were being given was substandard to the opposition.

I`m presuming you`re referring to the Hippocratic Oath? I did look into that when composing an earlier reply. Apparently not all, or perhaps even very many, doctors take it. Even if they did it would be far more a moral oath compared to that of a soldier which is legally binding.

Well I would suspect that either they`d return to work or find themselves arrested by the MPs. Barring virtually total support for the action some other branch of the military would have to step in to police it. It`s highly unlikely anyway, soldiers are taught to follow orders largely without question. If the military was ever going to refuse to obey orders imo it would have been in WWI when going over the top. The fact they didn`t rather proves that it is unlikely it will ever happen.

The difference is that most people sign a contract that gives them certain responsibilities at work. They do not sign an agreement that says if they disobey an order they may be arrested and imprisoned.

Perhaps I'm just playing devils advocate. I would reiterate that not all members of the military take an oath of allegiance they certainly don't all 'sign a contract'. I would suggest a contract isn't worth the paper it's written on if your particularly aggrieved anyway. Edited by Sou'Wester

Perhaps I'm just playing devils advocate. I would reiterate that not all members of the military take an oath of allegiance they certainly don't all 'sign a contract'. I would suggest a contract isn't worth the paper it's written on if your particularly aggrieved anyway.

I suspect you are :D

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to which personnel do not take an oath or sign a contract?

Employment contracts in civilian life certainly do not usually have particularly severe consequences if broken. Something I`ve already said. However if your average infantry soldier suddenly decides he`s not going to obey an order then the consequences are likely to be time in the glasshouse and possibly a court martial.

Officers in the Royal Marines don't by tradition, I believe there is other examples as well. DM I agree with you btw, I was just being difficult. My point was even if we could I know very few that would (they'd walk away before they took strike action). That is in spite of cuts and changes not dissimilar to others working in public services including junior doctors. It might be wishful thinking but I'd like to think that's because we're aware of our intrinsic value to the people we really serve which is the public. I rather hoped junior doctors would have approached things in a similar manner. Suck it up or leave but don't take general strike action which only puts the wider public at risk.

Edited by Sou'Wester

My friend who is a policeman said things are so bad in the force that they wish they could strike....but they are not allowed apparently...

In the private sector if your job terms & conditions change in a way that you don't like you look for another job and move on & the company replace you.

In professions like Dr's, Nurses or Teachers etc it's not as easy. Of course people in medical profession can transfer to an agency and become a locum or Bank nurse, you can move abroad etc but the post you left will not be filled straight away by an NHS Dr or Nurse etc they would have to temporarily replace you with the very agency you have probably gone to work for....so you could theoretically be back in your current job but getting paid more....which the NHS have to pay for anyway....

they knew what they signed up for is often used, but what they signed up for is now changing....& like most of the public sector not for the better.

I do think that most Junior Dr's are striking not just about pay but about much wider issues....whether this is right under the remit of current strike is debatable but nevertheless concerns which must he addressed

• 4 weeks later...

It also shows a total lack of understanding about how the real world works, putting stuff like that on social media is just childishly nieve

Still, he's toast now I should think. He was openly saying no matter what the government comes up with we won't agree to it!

Edited by Vince Green