Quick paint question.

VULTURE

Forget it , the ONLY way to go is two pack. There is a law that says words to the effect of motorcycles and vehicles of historical interest can still be painted using cellulose so now you need to find a ready supply for cellulose paint, yeah right. Halfords do a petrol proof lacquer that is very resistant and not fully proof but it has a yellow/tan tint to it and can be ok for a splash or two. So add the cost of primer top coat lacquer wet and dry etc etc probably about £60 and you may as well pay the £100 or so to get it professionally done.

Painting at home unless you have a booth you are wasting your time using water based paint. Stick to clear over base 2k and you will be fine, as for petrol splashes it will be fine as that's what most vehicles are painted with. Forget cellouse as its rarely used these days on motor vehicles.

I am perhaps in a minority here but i was brought up with celulose and dispite the fact its not just as durable as 2K its not as bad as its made out to be either, i have pulled far too many abandend for multiple decades cars and bikes from sheds and barns and with a little elbow grease pulled back that sad celly finish to look like new to ever have it said its not durable, sure it is hard and it chips compared to 2K , bbut its workable with and i like using it, i supose its an each to his own thing at the end of the day.

Celulose is still available and its still what i use for tanks side pannels etc. I dont have anything against 2K or synthetic coach paints etc, but with celulose its the kind if unlaquered finish i like on tanks you can polish celulose to a nice finish its just the traditional look i like.

As good as 2K is i feel i can tell a difference in appearance to cellulose .

You may be right there Tony,I have just resprayed the bike in some spare black cellulose I had left over from another job,and used a Cheapo decal kit of fleabay and I was surprised how well it came out,

I did this to see if I liked it in black before spending on a professional paint job,this bike only came in two colours the other is persimmon red with black and gold decals.

See pic

image_2.jpeg

Cheers. Vulture

Edited by VULTURE

nice job vulture :good:

just made some new kitchen cupboard doors and sprayed them with cellulose, I was warned off 2k as it has some nasty chemicals in it, cyanide or something and even if you do wear a mask i'm pretty sure your neighbours won't be happy, I got mine from ketts up on the airport estate.

Yes paddy the Z1B 900 was the daddy back then, the Z900 was still great but the Early ones the Z!a and then my Z1B were the biznis.

Remember reading the first write up on the 900 in MCN Saw the Black and white picture with a blonde sweedish bird on it, i knew then i have to get one, Sold everything i had near enough to raise the cash, never regretted an minuite of it.

happy days but by the time the 1300 came out i had been harnessed and had the Trappings of being wed to put up with, everything went but for different reasons. :lol: :lol:

But i did have a CBX 1000 in the mid 1980s it was like pushing a brick wall into the wind with those cylinders stuck out, was still no slouch though for back in the day.

Edited by TONY R

I was at school when the 1300 was launched,from that day onwards I was determined to own one and it took me ten years to save up for one,as I was in my mid 20s the insurance was a bit of a crippling expense,owned this one 24 years now.

Been lucky as my wife has never asked me too sell it even after it put me in hospital for 3weeks,(not the bikes fault,deer ran out in front).

Had loads of bikes come and go but this one stayed.been all over the uk on it,clocked up 112000 miles now and still going strong.

Wish I'd kept some of my past bikes now, fetch silly money now. Had a Yamaha RD500 bought for £2500. Sold for the same a year later now worth in excess of £10000 now. Shan't mention the fizzies,etc.

Cheers. Vulture

wish i'd kept my z650 and z1r.

I also had 2 ltd's, a 750 and a thou, one of the worst bikes to ever come out of the Kawasaki factory, the 750 got traded in for the z1r which had been badly hacked about and used as a drag bike, I wasn't too fussed about getting it back to standard, I just wanted to make it useable, clip ons and dodgy rear sets, a butchered seat and straight thru pipe, most of it was an easy fix, except the frame mods to accept the rear sets and the sub frame which was cut about to shorten the seat were beyond my capabilities and wallet back then.