A Black Day!

NatureBoy

Had to sort jobs Saturday but managed to check a few farms.Very little about.So not expecting much but needing my fix yesterday i headed out further to a farm i hadn't been to for a while feeling doing it more out of duty really.This farm is newish to me and has been gas gun,banger and scarer crazy most times i have been and I've not done very good there. Pull up to two fields of rape that are well knocked back/not taken.Half the fields in blossom the rest s stubble and weeds. there are 60+ pigeons in both fields and in the trees. As it's getting winder I set up in a ditch between the to fields under a very large oak sitty tree where the birds were feeding near the edge of what rape is growing and with the wind off my back.As i walk back rom parking the truck 3 birds go into the patten and land.In the hide and maxus loaded about 1oc. It's a half hour before the first bird screams over the hedge from behind and into the patten. I get it with the second shot as it tries to leave. As i do this pigeons and two buzzards lift from some oak trees at the end of the field. Pigeons disappear sharpish. Buzzards start quartering the field displaying and checking out my decoys causing any birds wanting to return to disappear again.In the next hour i only get 2 more birds and decide to pack up.Friends wanted some rabbits so decide to go walk about on rest of farm and round the buildings.As i pull into the farm yard a flock of 100+ crows fly off from a paddock and around the piggery.They not in a hurry to go. As i wander round and get 2 rabbits at my shot they just lift circle and land in the paddocks or the trees. Maybe cos a lot of young with them.As i get back to my truck i see the farmer and one of the horsey gals. She says she has never had so many crows about or in the piggery and can i av a go at em as paddocks being rested, horses other side of farm and piggery nearest paddock empty.Make a change as don't get to have a proper go at crows.Drove to end of paddock and set up hide against/into a thick high thorn hedge with the now strong wind coming from behind and using the low branches of a field maple as a bit of a roof.Few pigeons about to Flighting the hedge line and going to the pond at the other end of the paddock.Put the 3 i had shot out to the left chined using kebab sticks as the paddock like a lawn. another to on floaters down towards the pond and hedge on left. Rummaged around in me truck and found 5 flocked full bodied crows and a magpie. 4 out to the right about 30yrds. Magpie and crow on field posts. Hid truck in barn.In hide Vail on caller at ready maxus loaded with fiber 32gm trusts no6 about 4.30.Straight away a woodie drops over the hedge.Get it with 2nd shot suddenly crows and woodies are every where. I get 2 more woodies before my first crow.They seem reluctant to *** in and slide wide on the wind calling.Chin the one i got and decide to bring others in closer to about 15yrds. It works! The change and a bit of calling brings a steady stream of crows across the paddock to have a look.I get 4 more and add em to patten, as on such short grass they didn't like the look of there mates on there back. This brings more crows in given all types of shot.Some very high birds to fast birds coming in on the wind from behind, including a double. Challenging shooting because i had the low evening sun in my face and i had forgot my shades. As the patten got bigger and with plenty of calling the more confident they became.I packed up at 7.30 when it really slowed down picking 6 pigeons,15 crows 7 rooks, 8 jacks for 89 carts. lost 2 pigeons and 4 crows in hedge. My best day on blacks! Farmer said she well happy and we cracked a bottle of wine and had red poll burgers on the barby. Interesting sighting for me today was a common tern flying over the decs and going to hunt on the pond.Spent some time there.Seen them when fishing on large lakes but seldom farm ponds.Any one notice birds seem to be moulting early this year? Some crows and rooks looked rough and brown.Birds in my garden moulting to. Guess just one brood for a lot of them this year. Heard tawny owls calling during the day at work last week to. NB