223 muntjac bullet

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nobody has mentioned 55grain 1350 and these seem to be the most popular .224 bullet for munty in my local gun shop by a very long way

I have just bought a box to try, the load development went well but yet to make a batch for hunting.

Have some on order but got the 1360's first.

Been using the Dogtown 55grn SP for the last six years on Munti, CWD and any varmints that need removing.

Work very well out to 200 yds over N130 or N133, and at around £75 for 500 they are cost effective.

Also use 1375 and 1395 for target work, and the occasional deer, with excellent results.

Apologies if this is covered in earlier posts(didn't scroll through them all) but whether or not the Vmax bullet will produce and explosive result in my experience is velocity. Under 3k they behave somewhat predictably and likely wouldn't exit ( or splash)on your small deer. They sure don't on Coyotes! I would think a 60 Vmax under 3k or a Sierra 60 HP--both extremely accurate in most 12 twists and faster--would be dead right there bullets. Varget in the 26.0 range is lethally accurate.This is through a shorter barrel , may need to adjust to meet velocity requirements.As is in every case shot placement is everything.

That's surprising to me. I wouldn't use a varmint bullet on deer, only on fox. Deer I've always used softpoint.

Reasoning being that I'd have expected a Vmax to cause a lot more damage to meat, etc. and to fragment a lot more readily, whereas a SP will just mushroom and slam to a stop.

Happy to hear other viewpoints on it though, and to be corrected !

In my experience a 55 sp .223 will pass straight through. Certainly does the job.

In my experience a 55 sp .223 will pass straight through. Certainly does the job.

That would generally be my experience, but expends enough energy and does enough damage to stop the quarry quite easily!

...but I don't think that was the original question! :good:

Edited by Dekers

That would generally be my experience, but expends enough energy and does enough damage to stop quite easily!

...but I don't think that was the original question! :good:[/quote

I thought the original post was about a moderated round. I use .223 privi 55sp and they are very effective on muntjac but they still have the supersonic crack.

:hmm::hmm: Post 1

Been experimenting over the years with various calibres and bullets to find a good recipe for Munties, just been trying out some 55gr 1360 sierra varmint bullets in 223 with varget powder. Not had the 223 for very long at all but now shot five munties with this load and it seems to be the perfect bullet, anyone else using it.

That would generally be my experience, but expends enough energy and does enough damage to stop quite easily!

...but I don't think that was the original question! :good:[/quote

I thought the original post was about a moderated round. I use .223 privi 55sp and they are very effective on muntjac but they still have the supersonic crack.

Original Post above!

As it happens I to use PRVI 55g SP for the vast majority of my .223 field work, and that does me just fine, but again, we seem to be wondering a bit.

ATB! :good:

Edited by Dekers