One trip out / One Failed

OJW

Yesterday

Had a call from a keeper saying there were lots of pigeons on his land, I jumped in the car and drove down to the estate around an hour away. The under-keeper told me to set up on a long strip of cover crop seed he said the birds were keen on. I got set up and felt good about the hide and the decoys. Alas, over about 5 hrs, for 8 shots I only shot 5 birds. I had a good view of the surrounding countryside and couldn't see any pigeons at all. Furthermore the keeper had set up bangers in all the other possible spots so I felt like I had good chances. I didn't have a 4X4 so couldn't move and didn't want to bother the keepers. On a positive note, I have been given permission to go back anytime I would like to between now and when they put their pheasants down. Really enjoyed being out and about despite the lack of pigeons and humidity.

Today

I was invited by a friend to go to his farm near Newburry. I set off in the car very early this morning. Thanks to last nights ferocious storms, the Police had to block off both ends of the main road outside mine because of flooding. I made it past eventually but the traffic was so awful after spending 40mins stuck in traffic and still only 10mins away from my house I had to abandon the remaining 1hr 30 journey and turn back. Unfortunately he won't be out of London again until September now.

Fingers crossed for next time. On another positive note I got to try my new AYA XXV which worked well in the hide and seems to shoot straight. Not 100% sure that the FUD deecoys are much good, can the pigeons not see the red metal sticking out of their backs?

Edited by OJW

I am sorry that you had a poor outing.

If there were no pigeons there would have been little you could have done. However you might have been in the wrong place and I would have relied on my own field craft rather than be guided by the under keeper who may know nothing about pigeons and their habits.

Good stuff, where abouts are you? I'm Andover way

Cheers, I am in the Elmbridge area.

I am sorry that you had a poor outing.

If there were no pigeons there would have been little you could have done. However you might have been in the wrong place and I would have relied on my own field craft rather than be guided by the under keeper who may know nothing about pigeons and their habits.

I was thinking about what you would be do while I was wondering where the pigeons were, I decided that you would have seen that there was no traffic at all and probably wouldn't have bothered setting up (which would have been the right decision).