EU refuse informal talks until article 50 invoked.

Scully

No official time frame i believe, the clock does not start until it's invoked but that could take years.

I think you may be missing the point. No one is disputing what you say; the post is regarding the EU wont discuss any trade deals with the UK until article 50 is invoked, with all that that entails regarding economic uncertainty. They are trying to force our hand out of spite.

I think you may be missing the point. No one is disputing what you say; the post is regarding the EU wont discuss any trade deals with the UK until article 50 is invoked, with all that that entails regarding economic uncertainty. They are trying to force our hand out of spite.

I don't think so. It doesn't make sense for any talks to start until the Article 50 has been activated. The European leaders (not the EU leaders) accept that an incumbent PM who championed the Remain campaign cannot handle the fallout of the Brexit. They are more sympathetic than the EU hierarchy who can't seem to understand that they are there to serve governments not the other way around.

This week will see a distinct swing away from nastiness and towards a more understanding position IMO. The Germans might like the Brits to accept the social changes and freedom of movement, but not if it puts 20% of their car workers out of a job. Similarly, their trade ministers will come to realise that punitive measures against British exports to the EU could result in equally punitive measures towards EU exports to the UK. Hans and Fritz might be out of a job again. They sell more to the UK than the UK does to them and the UK exports to the EU are falling year on year and strengthening in non-EU markets. A weaker Pound makes that even more likely to continue.

At the moment it doesn't matter that our government is like a headless chicken. The EU hadn't planned for Brexit either and I wouldn't be surprised if Messrs Tusk and Junckner weren't being called to resign by the end of the week. There will also be calls for a reigning in of EU powers from smaller countries stifled by bureaucracy.

No point rushing into this. We've everything to gain by playing the long ball game.

I don't think so. It doesn't make sense for any talks to start until the Article 50 has been activated. The European leaders (not the EU leaders) accept that an incumbent PM who championed the Remain campaign cannot handle the fallout of the Brexit. They are more sympathetic than the EU hierarchy who can't seem to understand that they are there to serve governments not the other way around.

This week will see a distinct swing away from nastiness and towards a more understanding position IMO. The Germans might like the Brits to accept the social changes and freedom of movement, but not if it puts 20% of their car workers out of a job. Similarly, their trade ministers will come to realise that punitive measures against British exports to the EU could result in equally punitive measures towards EU exports to the UK. Hans and Fritz might be out of a job again. They sell more to the UK than the UK does to them and the UK exports to the EU are falling year on year and strengthening in non-EU markets. A weaker Pound makes that even more likely to continue.

At the moment it doesn't matter that our government is like a headless chicken. The EU hadn't planned for Brexit either and I wouldn't be surprised if Messrs Tusk and Junckner weren't being called to resign by the end of the week. There will also be calls for a reigning in of EU powers from smaller countries stifled by bureaucracy.

No point rushing into this. We've everything to gain by playing the long ball game.

Fair enough; makes sense. I bow to your superior knowledge.