HW45

hellier0437

i know that there is a debate over whether a pistol should be used for hunting but i was thinking of buying an HW45 and shooting targets with it with a view towards if i got good enough, ie pellet on pellet at a given range, using it for hunting if it was capable. leaving the suitability of a pistol to one side, which calibre would be the best for hunting with a pistol on rats at no more than 7 yards i am worried that the 6ft lbs tragectory of a .22 might make it impossible to be accurate?

thanks

also, how much should i expect to pay for a good second hand one?

Not illegal but not wise. A good carbine barrelled air rifle is small enough to provide a quick shot, especially using open sights at close range. I am sure it is possible to kill with an air pistol but in my opinion its not the best tool for the job. Why use 6 ft/lb and be uncertain when you can use 12 ft/lb and be sure. I can see no good argument for air pistol hunting, especially when air rifles are being manufactured more and more compactly.

Just my 2p

desperado

I've used two pistols to hunt at very close range. The first was a Webley Nemesis which is not even close to full power but pretty accurate. I had it when I was about 12, and killed everything from Starlings (they were on the list then) to Rabbits and Mink! I was a very good stalker and I could hit a penny at the length of my garden (about 8 yards) every time pretty much. It was a .22. The second gun was a HW45 in .177. I got that when I was about 16. By that time I was losing my skill with the pistol a bit as I'd moved on to a rifle, so didn't take on so much. It took several Squirrels off of our bird feeders before I sold it though! The Nemesis proved that it can be done in my opinion. They run at about 4ft-lbs I think, which isn't a lot really. If you have the skill to hit the head of your target, you'll kill it inside 10 yards with a HW45. I used to fire about 300 rounds a week with my Nemesis, and used it most days on targets. It was a part of me and I didn't miss much. I took it everywhere apart from school and never caused any trouble with it, although I shouldn't have had it in my posession. It lived in the inside pocket of my jacket, and wherever I went, it was with me. If I could get the same feel for my shotgun now, I'd be very happy. Unfortunately, I don't have the money or the time to use the shotgun as much/often as I used my pistol. Go for it and give it a try, but practice on paper first :good:

:yahoo:

also, would the webley typhoon be good enough as its just £50

no go for a hw45, i have killed hundreds of rats with mine. i have a crossman laser on mine, zeroed at about 6-7 yards. Wacks through them no problem. I take it fishing with me too, the laser almost makes it unsporting!!!! :good:

One word of advice, if you are shooting that close up , make sure you wear protective eye gear, as richochets are common.

Baz

Go for a BSA Scorpion - basically a Meteor with the ends chopped off.

I bought one few years ago and set about rebuilding it. It turned out brilliantly, and is the most accurate pistol I have ever used. Power is bang on the limit, and makes a great gun for close range ratting.

I fitted a Webley Black Hole silencer to cut down the muzzle crack.

Unfortunately the vicious recoil causes a bit of scope creep!

If you can find a good Scorpion for sensible money, then go for it, you wont regret it.

Cheers

Duster

I have the HW45 pistol in .177. I've been very impressed with it....I use it for dispatching when hunting (I use the rifles for the actual hunting tho). It is very powerful and very "man sized" making most other air pistols look like toys. The only downside is its single shot only and has no silencer available for it. By the way the .177 also has variable power because mine does. Its very accurate, but you have to be skilled for pistol shooting IMHO...

You won't be disappointed with a HW45 tho =). Its tough and powerful.

-Andrew

B) I dont, i bought it when I had an infestation of rats in the garden, i only really use it for shooting rodents that have escaped from my rat/mouse breeding room into my tackle shed now!!!! :good:

Im sure you have seen these piccys before, but out of 33 rats shot, about 30 were with the hw45.

post-5449-1172251875.jpg

post-5449-1172252035.jpg

post-5449-1172252054.jpg

i do take it night fishing with me and bait the rats to a point outside my bivvy then....bang....wish you could silence these, great guns never the less. ;)