stock renovation

peter-peter

Brave man - well done though, looking good so far :good:

thanks stu the worst is yet to come .

the forend this will be a nightmare ,

the laquer in the hatching really takes some scrubbing out without doing damage.

I started life as an apprentice joiner cabinet maker and can french polish

but believe me its easier putting it on than taking it of.

stock renovation is not for the faint hearted.

however.

when my beretta is done I have a baikal u/o in good condition but with **** woodwork.

lets see what this looks like done up

Peter, you may cringe, but I actually use a small mini wirebrush to brush out the broken down varnish/oil/wax from the grips. Works well, but be gental.

I have restored a few guns for Chris Potter guns near me, and they all sold so seems to work for me :good:

i would recomend a stiff nylon brush over wire brush as ive found wire brushes can damage the grain, meaning the oil takes differently in different area's (blotches) also dont be affraid to use alot of nitromorse and leave it on for as long as it takes.

i would recomend a stiff nylon brush over wire brush as ive found wire brushes can damage the grain, meaning the oil takes differently in different area's (blotches) also dont be affraid to use alot of nitromorse and leave it on for as long as it takes.

I used a stiff tooth brush I wouldn't put a wire brush near it but the crosshatching is very fine and the residue takes some getting out I washed it off with white spirit.

there isn't a quick solution i'm afraid.

when my beretta is done I have a baikal u/o in good condition but with **** woodwork.

Unless I'm missing something I may have been tempted to do the Baikal first! :lol:

i WAS PROFFESSIONALLY TRAINED .CABINET MAKER

NO PROBLEM

Brave man - well done though, looking good so far :sly:

Ditto, dont think I would attempt it, looking good for a home job :lol:

if I hadn't been trained I wouldn't have attempted it either

Nice job ! Looking forward to seeing the whole thing done.

I have found that if you trim the bristles on an old toothbrush they are stiffer at the bottom and more effective at clearing out mucky chequering.

that is a good idea jimlad ill do it for the forend thanks ///pete///

never too old to learn.

ive recently done the stock on my beretta 391 and it also took a absolute age to remove the original.I used a fairly soft wire brush and wire wool then finished with linseed oil.Its one of the most satisfying things ive ever done well worth the time and effort.

I used a stiff tooth brush I wouldn't put a wire brush near it but the crosshatching is very fine and the residue takes some getting out I washed it off with white spirit.

there isn't a quick solution i'm afraid.

I got a good tip fron someone on pw

toothbrush. cut the bristles in half it is 4 times as effective.

any way ats time to disguise the baikal now