Yesterdays sport part 2

Following on from the squirrels, I was helping the Peltman on a new job he's been given clearing the rabbits from around a cricket pitch & bowls green. The groundsman's been fighting a losing battle with the bunnys as a nearby building site is pushing all the rabbits in the area closer & closer to his greens, he's tried wire fencing filling in the burrows with rubble & steel sheets all to no avail.

This job wasn't going to be easy, the warrens were in a jungle of hip high stingers :D

We set about treading an alley through the vicious nettles to put the longnet round the entire warren, then pursed any obvious holes we could find.

We then collared up my 2 jills & popped them down. Now I know that ferreting this time of year is a bit of a no no & I was a bit worried about my girls finding a nest & lying up, so I'd given them a good feed earlier that morning. As Pin & Pelty will tell you my girls will rarely lie up and most of the time they come to the whistle, we've only had 2 digs to them last season & that was to rabbits holed up in stop ends :lol:

Anyway within 2 minutes of entering the stinkers Pelty had the first bunny in the purse net, closely followed by one over my side :oops: Both good sized does. We then had a benny hill moment when Pelty bent down to grab another bolter to the purse net got stung, rabbit slips the net, he chases it around in waist high nettles for it to hit the longnet while trying to make good its escape :lol::lol::lol: We had another bolt to the purse net that was un seen by the both of us but not Becky & she pounced on bunny number 4 holding it till I could give it the coup de grace.

We then saw the first little uns, 2 bolted to the longnet 1 getting through the mesh the other sadly not, asking Pelty what he wanted me to do with it? He replied don't be a pussy neck it :no: This is pest control :no:

We mooched around a bit finding a few more warrens one that had nothing but babies & a massive rat :o

We ended up at lunchtime with 5 good sized healthy rabbits & 5 babies :/ The spade came out only to back fill the holes we found,(for future reference) the stinkers performed brilliantly coming out to the whistle :lol: In fact I can't be sure but I'd swear they were leaving the babies alone & going after the big uns?

The first nettle infested warren

post-2169-1179564979.jpg

Final bag

post-2169-1179565102.jpg

It was great to be out ferreting again, I didn't think I'd be out for at least another 6 months cheers Peltman :lol:

P.S. Dont tell Pelty but I did let a few little-uns slip the net, big softie that I am :good::lol:

SS

:good:

Well Done gents great pics and write up. I know what you mean regarding the time of year and the ferrets laying up but when needs must sometimes it is worth taking a chance!!!

Sounds like you had a great day, out of interest i notice your net is set with your pegs vertical. I tend to lean mine towards the direction i expect the rabbits to come from, any thoughts?? Is there an advantage to either method in your opinion.

Nice job, looks like a tricky one from how you describe it.

Hard dealing with the young, I find it hard to do but when it's pest control, a rabbit is a rabbit :blink:

Not what you said a few days go! :blink:

If you are trying to get a rise out of me you have done it, you ******.

I said I wouldn't take the young and explained the circumstances and why. I also CLEARLY said in the right circumstances I would have no problems doing it.

What's the crack man, are you trying to **** me off deliberately?

I said I wouldn't take the young and explained the circumstances and why. I also CLEARLY said in the right circumstances I would have no problems doing it.

No just askin! :blink:

You are quite right, my apologies S.S upon closer inspection they are indeed angled as you say :blink: .

As far as the small rabbits are concerned i would say that it is down to the individuals consciensce (think that is spelled right HA HA) i would just add that if the pressure is really on from the landowner then i will take them whatever the size and use the small ones as fox bait :lol: , however i prefer to when the situation allows let them get to 3/4 grown. at least they provide a decent meal at that size and have had a little of the good life (bloomin' 'eck i am getting sentimental now) :blink:

Keep up the good work, we are out again on tuesday evening hopefully will have another report for you all.

Hi All

Great acount SS and thanks for your help i owe you a beer :whistling:

How the hell those nettles didn't get through your strides i don't know, my legs looked like two long strawberry's by the time we got home :yes:

now to you all, as for little baby Rabbits if you are being payed to deal with a problem then you have to deal with it. The size of the problem was only small, development around the cricket pitch will knock out most of the remaining warrens, meaning this was a one off job. Beings the Rabbits are not seen very often and its only the damage being done that is seen, to leave the little Rabbits alone means that over a very short space of time the damage will continue, making me look bad hence the culling of ALL size Rabbits.

If out on larger jobs ie Golf Courses with a big problem that you can only manage to keep down the numbers because as fast as you cull the ******* they breed like "RABBITS" then you can get away with (even if it is bad practice) leaving the Littlens for a few weeks so they get to a good eating size.

If out for fun Ferreting/shooting then i will always leave the little orange's. :(

Thats me done.

SS

You forgot to tell all about the "BLACK" Gret Squirrels.

This area that we carried out the pest control is home to Black grey Squirrels. I'm glad that SS saw one because i think that He thought i was telling porkies. Shame SS didn't have time to take a picture of it. It was running through a tree with a youngun or a baby bird in its nashers :D

Cheers

PELTMAN :good:

No just askin! :yes:

:whistling: I'd been on the sauce at that point :good: