Amateur radio

Exudate

My late Dad was a radio Ham...had an aerial in the back Garden in the early 70's that was twice as high as the house.

He struck up several long lasting international friendships and even learned to speak reasonable Polish with one of them.

Used to drive my Mum bonkers though.

I'm a ham, good luck foundation is easy, 73 andy M0NKR

My exam is booked in for the end of November, and I've already started the distance learning for my intermediate licence. I've bought a Yaesu FT-60e HT and a guy from my local club is sorting me out with an X-30 antenna. There are several 2m/70cm repeaters easily within range. There are also a few which should be in range from where I pigeon shoot. Looking forward to being able to push the PTT and join in the local nets. I'll let you know how I get on!

My late Dad was a radio Ham...had an aerial in the back Garden in the early 70's that was twice as high as the house.He struck up several long lasting international friendships and even learned to speak reasonable Polish with one of them.Used to drive my Mum bonkers though.

Already drives my wife bonkers, and Ive only been listening to local nets for a few weeks!

Did my foundation a few years back and was all keen to do my intermediate etc but the pace was too slow for me and I lost interest. Add into that the full licence guys are just out to belittle the noobs on air, then they complain no one new ever goes to the radio clubs and the hobby is dying out......

Anyways best of luck with your new hobby and I hope you don't meet the same people on air I did, 73s M6GHG

Did my foundation a few years back and was all keen to do my intermediate etc but the pace was too slow for me and I lost interest. Add into that the full licence guys are just out to belittle the noobs on air, then they complain no one new ever goes to the radio clubs and the hobby is dying out......

Anyways best of luck with your new hobby and I hope you don't meet the same people on air I did, 73s M6GHG

Certainly at the radio club I've started going to, the youngest member is in his late 30s, then there's about 3 of us in our 40s, then a big jump up to 60+. They're a perfectly friendly bunch, but you can see why a youngster would be put right off. Going to the radio club meeting is a bit like visiting your grandparents for the day!

I am licensed (2E0PJY) but to be honest lost interest a bit in the hobby a while ago. I Was active on HF but found the antennas a hassle due to size and my mrs didnt like the huge long pieces of wire dangling the length of the garden or monster verticals. That and the bands being dominated by italians running kilowatts of power kind of put me off. so I dont have any HF kit currently. I do have a DSTAR dual bander which gets switched on very infrequently. DSTAR is good fun, although some say its not radio in the pure sense. As others have said radio clubs are friendly enough but I was considered a young lad by the members and I was 49 the last time I went. That said its a nice hobby and the foundation and intermediate are easy to get the full license is a bit more challenging but not beyond the realms of the vaguely intelligent...

To be honest I got into it really when we lived in the sticks and I wanted a VHF setup for my 4X4, kind of saw it as being handy if I ever got stranded in some natural disaster type of scenario..... Never happened, and I would probably have reached for my iPhone before calling CQ!

Anyway good luck and enjoy it mate....

I am licensed (2E0PJY) but to be honest lost interest a bit in the hobby a while ago. I Was active on HF but found the antennas a hassle due to size and my mrs didnt like the huge long pieces of wire dangling the length of the garden or monster verticals. That and the bands being dominated by italians running kilowatts of power kind of put me off. so I dont have any HF kit currently. I do have a DSTAR dual bander which gets switched on very infrequently. DSTAR is good fun, although some say its not radio in the pure sense. As others have said radio clubs are friendly enough but I was considered a young lad by the members and I was 49 the last time I went. That said its a nice hobby and the foundation and intermediate are easy to get the full license is a bit more challenging but not beyond the realms of the vaguely intelligent...

To be honest I got into it really when we lived in the sticks and I wanted a VHF setup for my 4X4, kind of saw it as being handy if I ever got stranded in some natural disaster type of scenario..... Never happened, and I would probably have reached for my iPhone before calling CQ!

Anyway good luck and enjoy it mate....

Thanks for that, Wingman!

I know what you mean about HF antennas. I used to be into CB, when I lived in Derbyshire, and had a Shakespeare Big Stick antenna in the back garden. It was unsightly and didn't impress the Mrs at all. The radio I've bought to get started in amateur is 2m/70cm, and I've put an X30 antenna in the loft. Much easier to manage and Mrs friendly than HF. Plenty of contacts and nets going on here on 70cm, so for now I'm happy with my Yaesu HT. There are also several repeaters easily in range of Milton Keynes, where my pigeon shooting permission is, so I can also use the radio in the hide, during quiet periods.

I've been looking at the Icom DSTAR system and it looks awesome. If you ever want to sell yours, then do please let me know! Thanks!

73s.