One for the Smiths, shotgun mechanism question

Keith RW

Evening all

Just cleaning an Armitalia di Lucchini shotgun that looks like its not been oiled for more than a decade as is dry as a bone.

The cocking limb in the form of a sliding bar which is also as dry as a bone, rattles back and forth in its slide when the gun is closed but not when open and which drew my attention to stripping it in the first place, all looks well with the mechanism and the rattle cured with a lick of oil.

Just wondered if I was missing something here with it sliding back and forth when closed

post-10351-0-86747700-1477431047_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keith RW

It's the cocking bar.

It is pushed back by a cam located on the forend and in turn pushes back on the base of the hammers to re cock them. You will see the cam protruding out of thr back of it.

When the gun is closed and the hammers cocked there is nothing preventing it freely sliding back on forward. When open it will be trapped between the hammers and cam in the fore end.

Edited by Paul1440

They are usually sprung ,in so much there is a small hair spring that holds the cocking rod in position that frequently breaks off one limb . Not so in all guns and on this one I do not know for sure . If it works leave well alone as they can be a bit of a pig to fit up .This I do know from long expedience . If there has been a spring that has broken then there is the possibility that the broken limb could cause a trigger problem or could cause a problem if the cocking rod was to come forward and the gun was fired with the barrels off . There are several variations on this basic cocking system and with out actually looking I could not say for certain which is used in your gun . Best advice is not to worry unless you have a problem .

Thanks for the input guys, had to do a similar repair on my 1973 Browning Leige last season when the top lever retaining spring broke bought some 0.5mm stainless spring steel wire off that auction site and fashioned one using the broken one as a pattern as no spares out there anymore for them.

will be leaving this one alone for now though as all's well after a good clean and re-lube...ready to go again