Electrician re-wire price.

rimfire4969

Some PW help please.

My daughter is looking at a small 2 bed flat, ground floor. A lot of the wiring is on the top surface of the skirting boards etc. Two breaker boards, one for the electric heating and one for the rings and cooker. I think the place could do with a full rewire from fuse boxes on, chasing into the walls where needed, I guess 70% of it.

My electrician is away for nearly 3 weeks so I would just want a rough cost please, I know it's a how long is a piece of string, but I would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

Some PW help please.

My daughter is looking at a small 2 bed flat, ground floor. A lot of the wiring is on the top surface of the skirting boards etc. Two breaker boards, one for the electric heating and one for the rings and cooker. I think the place could do with a full rewire from fuse boxes on, chasing into the walls where needed, I guess 70% of it.

My electrician is away for nearly 3 weeks so I would just want a rough cost please, I know it's a how long is a piece of string, but I would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

questions that will be relevant in quantifying how long that piece of string is :

is it in a low or high cost of living part of the country?

is it floor concrete slab or joists and boards?

is the ceiling plasterboard on joists, lathe & plaster or concrete ?

is visible plastic mini trunking acceptable or does everything need to be chased in ?(essentially a cost vs asthetics question)

would you be expecting redcecoration or simply plaster repairs ?

Sorry a bit more info.

Concrete floor, chasing in every room. But I would make the chasing good as we will be having some skimming done as well. Ceiling plaster board on joists some of the boards need repair so no need to make good. Area Cornwall low cost of living. So chasing will be made good by me so no redecoration needed.

The flat is small, kitchen 9' x 9' lounge 15' x 9' 2 beds roughly 9 x 9 each, small hall 6 x 3.

questions that will be relevant in quantifying how long that piece of string is :

is it in a low or high cost of living part of the country?

is it floor concrete slab or joists and boards?

is the ceiling plasterboard on joists, lathe & plaster or concrete ?

is visible plastic mini trunking acceptable or does everything need to be chased in ?(essentially a cost vs asthetics question)

would you be expecting redcecoration or simply plaster repairs ?

+asbestos re-furb survey if were chopping into walls

Depends very much on the level of BWIC involved as others have said but I've just placed an order with a local electrician to strip out and rewire 40 individual flats of similar construction in Bristol

If it helps. Prices including a new CU were as follows.. 3 beds... £1,750 2 Beds £1,350 1 Beds £1,105 £ 3 bed studio Flat £ 2,150.

This includes basic mains connected smoke detectors a MK Logic fittings

Hope this helps.

+asbestos re-furb survey if were chopping into walls

Not on Private domestic I believe ...the duty of care onus is on the appointed Builder or Contractor, unless there are communal areas involved. Good point though for the sake of £100 it would be worth getting a local surveyor to give it a once over.

Edited by Adge Cutler

Not on Private domestic I believe ...the duty of care onus is on the appointed Builder or Contractor, unless there are communal areas involved. Good point though for the sake of £100 it would be worth getting a local surveyor to give it a once over.

it still has to be paid for and its going too be passed on to the client

Depends very much on the level of BWIC involved as others have said but I've just placed an order with a local electrician to strip out and rewire 40 individual flats of similar construction in Bristol

If it helps. Prices including a new CU were as follows.. 3 beds... £1,750 2 Beds £1,350 1 Beds £1,105 £ 3 bed studio Flat £ 2,150.

Hope this helps.

Got to ask Adge, whats a 3 bed studio flat?

Hope this helps.

Hi Adge, whats the reason why they charge £245 for the extra bedroom on a 2 bed(1 bed £1,105 and 2 bed £1350), but another £400 for another bedroom on the 3 bed?(3 bed £1750)??

Hi Adge, whats the reason why they charge £245 for the extra bedroom on a 2 bed(1 bed £1,105 and 2 bed £1350), but another £400 for another bedroom on the 3 bed?(3 bed £1750)??

The three beds have extra corridor and are generally bigger on this development plus they have a main bathroom and Utility.

Hmmm in deed.

So, somewhere between 1 and 3k possibly. Helpful I think.

Thank you for the replies.

I would have thought for a small 2 bed flat £1500 (excl vat) would be a good starting point. looking back at the last 1/2 dozen or so residential refurbs we have done in the last couple of years the price for a 2 bed flat , Kitchen, Living area , Bathroom WC seems to have been between £1325 - £1640 each. with another £ 1250 for the dimplex units, separate fuse board and time clock

If the wiring is that old though to require a strip and rewire..would it not be a good idea to check the condition of the storage heaters ? That's assuming the electric heating is night storage of course) A 2.5 kw unit would be what, £250 - 300 fitted.

If the flat doesn't have a dual tariff meter it might be an opportunity to get one installed.

Edited by Adge Cutler