28 gauge reloading

I have a Mec sizeaster. All of this stuff is a bit of a cost to equip up with initially and the setting up and doing it can be a bit of a game but it is relatively easy once you get your head around it. Go onto YouTube and have a look at reloading videos to see what is involved before you splash the cash.

I have a Mec sizeaster. All of this stuff is a bit of a cost to equip up with initially and the setting up and doing it can be a bit of a game but it is relatively easy once you get your head around it. Go onto YouTube and have a look at reloading videos to see what is involved before you splash the cash.

Glad i asked your advice like shooting the 28 but some companies now charging around £15 a box for a descent cartridge most average £10 a box so i can see it would be cost affective in the long run to reload, will have a look at you tube as i havnt seen anyone using a reloader easy when you no how but daunting if you dont no.

You ideally need somewhere that you can set up and leave it set up with all of the associated kit with it. The shot and powder bottles flop over backwards to refill and unload so the MC has to be far enough forward away from the back wall to allow room for the bottles to tip over backwards. The MC ideally needs to be fitted with a large tray of some kind underneath because it is inevitable that you will get out of sync and end up with a shot spillage and it goes all over the place. Whatever make or model of reloader that is used. Rounding up shot on the floor is a pain. I don't just have one shell on the MC at one time but every station has a shell on it so every handle pull turns out a completed shell.

Edited by fortune

Guest cookoff013

Unless you plan on shooting a lot of 28 bore carts it will work not work out cheaper.

yes, but you can control its diet.

if you reload premium shells you should be able to do it for £200/k easy. the 28gauge is in a sticky situation, demand is low. so decent amunition is not readily available.

if you reload 24gram loads and switch out the shotsize to 9s for clay and 7s or 6s even for bird days its nice.

if you want 1 ounce loads its more expensive. but those 28gram loads are not made by all manufacturers, they do make a 14-16 gram loads as well as the 21g loads...

you save money not spending it on petrol, trying to find shells. not all shops stock sub gauge stuff.

its a double edged sword. do it wrong and its expensive... do it right, and the ammunition is finer than factory.

Unless you plan on shooting a lot of 28 bore carts it will work not work out cheaper.

Thanks for your advice most carts are around £10 a box, never reloaded so i have no idea what it would cost i dont shoot thousands but fed up trying to get the cartridge i like, bournaghi are my favourites and nobel sport,gamebore pure gold are good to.

Edited by Hedgewizard

At the end of the day It is all down to you and how good a shot you are. It don't matter what cartridge It is. As long as you centre the pattern on the target the job will be done. You could pay £20 or £50 a box but if you can't hit the target then you are wasting your time and money?

At the end of the day It is all down to you and how good a shot you are. It don't matter what cartridge It is. As long as you centre the pattern on the target the job will be done. You could pay £20 or £50 a box but if you can't hit the target then you are wasting your time and money?

I agree your rite, ive shot one for years now and will continue to do so, on average pigeon shooting i will kill 2 out of 3 shots over decoys, that percentage drops roost shooting as target can sometimes get branch bound, what i like about the 28 you either hit the target or completley miss which cant be a bad thing as its not good practice to wound an animal or bird for that matter which ive seen many times on pheasant shoots with high birds.

I agree your rite, ive shot one for years now and will continue to do so, on average pigeon shooting i will kill 2 out of 3 shots over decoys, that percentage drops roost shooting as target can sometimes get branch bound, what i like about the 28 you either hit the target or completley miss which cant be a bad thing as its not good practice to wound an animal or bird for that matter which ive seen many times on pheasant shoots with high birds.

Use 21g of 7.5 Hull CompX through extra full choke in a 12 bore and you will get a tighter pattern and it will be a whole lot cheaper, to achieve the kill or miss cleanly approach your after.

I did look into reloading the 28 and unless you intend to buy in bulk from overseas suppliers like siarm its more expensive, as Cookoff says you can taylor your load and work it up or down to your liking. I found all my local proper gunshops not the likes of fishing tackle places that sell a few bits stock 28 bore carts so depending on what i want i can usually get it.

i still have my 28 bore and it has not been used in a year,if i was shooting it a lot i think i would reload.

George of proper cartridges does a cracking 28 bore cart he may deliver to your area.

You can save a lot reloading 28ga and do not have to go overseas to by components in these difficult times we should support UK business. My 28ga do cost me more than £148.00 as I like to use new cases together with used and load 24gm also.

From a UK suppliers website.

e.g. PIGEON

CARTRIDGES

*Per 1000 From

12ga £180.00 28gm
20ga £167.00 24gm

28ga £148.00 21gm

.410 £164.00 13gm

You will save by reloading 28g carts. The main problem is going to be empty hulls. Have a look round the clay grounds, you may be able to pick some up there. If not then you are going to have to load new hulls so are not going to save as much. Primers, powder and shot are going to be the same whatever cart you are loading but try to get them locally, otherwise you are going to have to pay the HASMAT charge of about £30.00 for delivery. I get my supplies from John down at Folkestone Engineering Supplies in Kent. Give him a ring and he will help you out. A mine of information and very helpful.

Get all your supplies from one source. Someone who knows what they are doing otherwise you could end up with bits that don't work/fit.

A good starter press would be the Lee Loadall II. It will get you into reloading and if you find it's not for you, you can sell it on.

The most important bit is do your research.

• Get a reloading manual (The ABC of Reloading, Lyman 49th edition) and read it a couple of times.
  • Watch reloading videos on U-tube.
  • Understand the risks involved - Remember you are using explosives.
  • Set up a reloading area out of the way of little fingers.

Now you have set up your man-cave you can get away from that damn square box and get on with something useful. Beware though, reloading can be very addictive but you do get what you want. It's a very goo addition to your hobby. You would do well to stay away from American powders as they can easily be twice the price of European powders. However that means the recipes may not be in the manual, so getting the supplies from one source should get you a recipe. Once you've got that, stick to it.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Use 21g of 7.5 Hull CompX through extra full choke in a 12 bore and you will get a tighter pattern and it will be a whole lot cheaper, to achieve the kill or miss cleanly approach your after.

I did look into reloading the 28 and unless you intend to buy in bulk from overseas suppliers like siarm its more expensive, as Cookoff says you can taylor your load and work it up or down to your liking. I found all my local proper gunshops not the likes of fishing tackle places that sell a few bits stock 28 bore carts so depending on what i want i can usually get it.

i still have my 28 bore and it has not been used in a year,if i was shooting it a lot i think i would reload.

George of proper cartridges does a cracking 28 bore cart he may deliver to your area.

Thanks for your reply my lad is now getting keen so will have to see, we have a driven day coming up soon and he can pull the high birds down no problem using an aya 28 with 1/2 and full choke with a diet of pure gold fibre 6,s it performs well, will have to look george up from proper cartridges,thanks again.

Hedgewizzard if you have a favourite cart like the Bornaghi George can replicate its speed and shooting characteristics in whatever shot size you want.

Yes thanks Figgy will give him a call i do like a quality cartridge and the italians take some beating for that, bournaghi and nobel sport are tops,when i first starting using a 28 at the age of 15 you had fiocchi pl1 19 gram which quite franky wouldnt put a hole in a cabbage plant, or eley paper case 21 gram which where the better cartridge.28 bore users are now spoilt for choice even e j churchill now make the hell fire but dear at over £13 a box but a good cartridge.

I have a box of Express Supreme Game 28g 28bore carts at home for boxing day also have a box of something else 24g but cant remember what.

Figgy do you find the 28 gram high on the recoil stakes its alot to put through a 28, the 21gram are my favourites although i did try the eley vip fibre 24 gram 5,s for bolting rabbits and found them good although my beretta did have issues ejecting some of the cases some would stick havnt had this with other brands though.

dont know were you guys buy your ammo but your being ripped off,my last slab of fiochi 24g carts were £62,for 28gauge and i can get fibre wad ones form all the other makers for a lot less than £8 a box.

Have most of my carts from just cartridges most on his site are just under £10 a box the hell fire £13 plus a box which is to much will shop around maybe im not getting a very good deal.

No I actually find that 25 and 28 gram carts are a lot smoother in the lightweight 28bore than in my 12bore SxS. Something to do with slower burning progressive powders producing more of a smoother shove to your shoulder rather than the heavy hard slap or thump you come to expect.