Bit of a shock trying to get some powder ordered in to my local RFD

The powers that be would say it exactly because ownership, storage and transport is regulated and controlled to minimise risk that their are no such (or none I know about) incidents by reloaders.

It has gone wrong big time with commercial users, only a year or so back a fireworks storage facility caught fire and killed a firemen and in america(?) Rio had an automatic loading machine explode - Google it.

I believe we in the uk are allowed to keep more nitro than any other EU country so not all bad news.

A few years back a shop opened temporarily in a busy parade near where I lived selling fireworks. Within about a week we had a leaflet through the door and the prices were good so I took one of my sons there to buy some.

When we got in the shop I was amazed, there were fireworks stacked literally from floor to ceiling. Now I had a black powder licence at that time and I had a fairly good understanding of the regulations for gunpowder storage.

Yet this shop could just pile all those fireworks up and sell them to whoever walked in to buy them.

There is no consistency

Nitro powders are not explosive. That is why joe public can buy them and keep a decent quantity at home.

We transport far more flammable and dangerous materials like petrol and LPG around in huge quantities. Millions of us have ten gallons of petrol in a plastic tank parked on the drive or in a garage.

More and more stupid regulations are being chucked at shooters week by week. I phoned a local gunsmith about receiving a shotgun on my behalf from a person on this site who offered to RFD it up here to Newcastle, and the gunsmith said the police were increasing the regulations which meant I would have to send my certificate to the complete stranger so that he could write in the transfer section a line of details. Then he would send me the certificate back and the gunsmith at my end would release the gun to me...... What a lot of old b ,,,,ox. There was nothing wring before when two gunsmiths would arrange the matter between them and my certificate would be filled in at the receiving end. This is just obstruction for obstruction's sake. I checked with the Firearms department and teh guy there admitted the new arrangement would risk certificates being lost and stolen - SO WHAT IS THE POINT? ??? Utter idiocy.

I know the feeling, however if you read the license conditions for transferring guns it does state that it's the gun holder selling or giving the gun that completes the section, not the receiving RFD and this has been the case for many moons.

Had to do the same with my last purchase, however an e-mailed scanned copy of the front page and a posted 2nd page for completion by the seller returned with the gun is fine, the receiving RFD does the confirmation with the complete licence before handing the gun over. A pain but there we have it.

Edited by Uilleachan

zetter are ya down at robs on 8th jan? pop in countryman they should have it in stock.

Hi Mate

I'm planning to as due to the lack of bunnies/ foxes at the moment the Hornet really needs another run out I seem to spend more time cleaning it than shooting it :) .

The powers that be would say it exactly because ownership, storage and transport is regulated and controlled to minimise risk that their are no such (or none I know about) incidents by reloaders.

It has gone wrong big time with commercial users, only a year or so back a fireworks storage facility caught fire and killed a firemen and in america(?) Rio had an automatic loading machine explode - Google it.

I believe we in the uk are allowed to keep more nitro than any other EU country so not all bad news.

That's like the way Carney claimed the lack of financial collapse post BREXIT vote was down to his 'interventions'. No evidence whatsoever.

I had an explosives cert for the whole of the 1980s. Black Powder was cheap and easy to buy and there were no restrictions on transporting your allowance or bits of paper to allow you to do it. Nitro powders were sold without certificates of any kind. I was certainly never asked to show one. I made my own wooden box which was as specified fitted with brass hinges and kept it in a locked cupboard in my garage with the full consent of the police explosives officer. On discovering that my fellow BP shooter was a chemist, he encouraged him to make his own BP.... I don't think aforesaid pal bothered, but nobody I knew was ever hurt except the fellow who accidentally shot himself through the hand with a flintlock pistol while loading it.

I bought pyrodex a couple of weeks ago and the showing of the certificate was simply a formality NOT REQUIRED by law. The sales chap said so and on a reloaders website doing mail order, the site information says specifically that they only sell powder on sight of an appropriate firearms / shotgun permit although NOT a legal requirement, but their own restriction.

I have no doubt that such restrictions imposed by retailers may follow incidents like the Boston Marathon Bombing in which powders intended for reloading were used in making bombs.

A firework factory or large scale outlet for the sale of explosive articles like fireworks carries a great risk if an accident occurs. They are rightly controlled as are any large scale storage of dangerous articles. Quite how that relates to an order for a 100 209A primers or musket caps, eludes me rather. Whatever next, permits and HAMAT for matches? Kitchen Knives? No wonder the Americans laugh at us. They can buy fifty pounds of BP, without permit or restriction.

Maybe next time we see a forty tonne tanker of petrol bowling through town or doing sixty on the motorway we should remember that weight for weight, petrol contains more energy that gunpowder and that it is EXTREMELY easy to set alight. Any Tom **** and Harry can fill up half a dozen plastic containers with it without a question being asked and keep it in his house.

Edited by Evilv

I know the feeling, however if you read the license conditions for transferring guns it does state that it's the gun holder selling or giving the gun that completes the section, not the receiving RFD and this has been the case for many moons.

Had to do the same with my last purchase, however an e-mailed scanned copy of the front page and a posted 2nd page for completion by the seller returned with the gun is fine, the receiving RFD does the confirmation with the complete licence before handing the gun over. A pain but there we have it.

Glad it worked out for you. Hope the gun suits well.

Evilv,

The world is a different place compared with the 80s.

I think your RFD should read Explosive Regulations 2014 (ER2014) which came into force on the 1st October 2014.

Ignorance of such law's is no excuse and as an RFD he should know the law.

As at schedule 2 it lists a list of explosives that do not require an explosive certificate to acquire provided certain conditions are met and for smokeless powder is states:-

SCHEDULE 2 EXPLOSIVES NOT REQUIRING AN EXPLOSIVES CERTIFICATE

15. The explosive substance smokeless powder which is

(a) assigned in accordance with the United Nations Recommendations the U.N. no 0161 or 0509 or which has been recovered from ammunition or blank ammunition intended for use in firearms; and

(b) acquired by a person who either is registered as a firearms dealer under section 33 of the Firearms Act 1968(6) or holds

(i) a permit granted under section 7 of that Act(7);

(ii) a firearms certificate granted under section 27 of that Act(8);

(iii) a shotgun certificate granted under section 28 of that Act(9); or

(iv) a permit granted under section 17 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988

I have no experience of pyrodex but I am 99.9% certain it is classified as smokless powder in which case it was not just a formality to see your certificate but the law he also broke the law on what records of sale he should also be keeping. Read ER2014.

Even your forty tonne tanker of petrol is covered by the dangerous goods laws and ADR etc etc.

And yes the max petrol you can store legally at home is 30ltrs.

And only today many have been killed, wonder what restrictions they had to own and transport to a market

reporteldy 300tonnes of fireworks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-38387239

Edited by rbrowning2