Steel shot and chokes

Small shot is no problem through tight chokes I have customers abroad who have put over 100,000 steel 7s through 3/4 and full choked krieghoffs and absolutely no problem.

Only issue is with big shot in steel I believe.

But if there was an issue shooting say 4 s 3s or 1s wouldn't they state it ? Not just print it as steel proof ?

The only way to know what SP Full means in reality is get your dial caliper out and measure the inside of the tube or bore. Remington for example marked the tubes on my 10 ga. lead mod-- steel full, they are fitting their findings to fit laymans terms.

If I were shooting large pellets(steel 2 or larger) I would prefer .020 of choke. For anything smaller I wouldn't be too concerned provided the choke didn't exceed .030 of restriction. Tom Roster did extensive testing here with steel pellets as a part of a steel lethality study sponsored by the USFWS and did post mortem xrays and dissection to support his findings.He found you need 3-5 pellets at a given distance with adequate energy to provide a clean harvest. His advice to me via phone conversation was that the .020 was what he used in testing and I've seen him on his video harvesting large geese to 70 yds--consistently.

I use extra full extended Briley chokes with pretty much any sized steel shot. I would use steel 3 in any gun or choke, really, provided it has magnum proof and it's not falling to bits.

I use tight chokes because I get very poor results with open ones.