Cost of gun engraving?

Reeceknight

just outback of curiosity really. Been sitting looking at engraving on actions. Can old guns be completely started again? Does that depend on wall thickness on certain parts of the action. I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" question but I found a number of American sights offering custom hand gun engraving for around $1000-1500.

Anyone had any done ?

With modern laser engraving I am wondering why there isn't more opportunity to have a gun angraved how you want, I mean you can have your iPad engraved for free so why no a beretta? On guns like the DT series why not be able to order your own engraving they make them like the old days in the white then you order a new one and get to choose the engraving either patterned or scene from a selection or pay extra for custom.....

Older guns with light engraving you can polish out and reengrave I think not sure if they need reproofing, and the engraving can be filled with weld and polished and redone.....

With the number of tattoo artists everywhere I'm sure some will diversify from skin to steel........

Wisemans in Cannock do old school engraving,quoted 1500 for rose and scroll on my browning A1 and 2500 for rose and scroll with game scene,will also do engraving of anything you fancy showed me one they did for customer who had brought in a photo of his favorite dog. Quality was exeptional.

Brian Wiseman is a very underrated Engraver . Old school and working for the family firm does not advertise himself enough . Re-engraving can be a bit of a mine field and a lot depends on the gun .

Laser engraving is great but it has to be programmed into a computer which takes time so cost is quite high . Advantage is that you can laser engrave a hardened action .

Traditional engraving would need the action to be annealed first and this is difficult on some actions , it would then need to be re hardened which all adds to the cost . Having had quite a bit of experience in this it has to be a good gun to be worth it .

Edited by Gunman

Laser engraving is great but it has to be programmed into a computer which takes time so cost is quite high . Advantage is that you can laser engrave a hardened action

But once it's in as code it can be duplicated infinitely anywhere in the world at the push of a button so an engraver in London or new York can engrave an action on a machine in Italy or turkey

Load in the action profiles, digital sketch the pattern and onverlay the 2, client signs off a 3D render or 3D model and press the button on the real thing.....

Personally I think you should be able to go to a beretta gallery for example choose your wood, choose your action and engraving go for lunch and come back to a personalised gun.....

Go to Val Trompia, plenty of aftermarket engravers up most streets, seen a good number of MX8's turned into SC3's and SC0's, only Perazzi could tell the difference.

Have a look at http://www.tognazzi.net/ He engraves a lot, and will gold inlay your name in the trigger guard in less than 2 hours for around 85E. But I would head to Italy for getting a gun engraved, that many doing it, it keeps the price sensible.

I have been left a cnc engraving machine by my late father unfortunately I have no idea how it works all I know is it runs 2 programs called mac 3 and v -carve the machine must be worth £3000 as the software was £1200

Mach 3 is a machine control programme (machsupport.com) that turns G code into machine movement. V Carve is your design programme (by vectric.com) that will generate G code. So the workflow is your design -> VCarve(CAD/CAM) -> Machine(Mach3).

Mach 3 controlled machines are common on entry/home workshop/light duty machines - but it still works well.

I might be wrong but I think Fruitloop has a Vcarve/Mach3 system for 3D routing.