ROE BUCK

been watching a farm of mine for the last 3 weeks at some roe bucks, finally decided to take the .243 with me today and shot this little beauty. winchester 100g bullets with a remington 710 sps with t8 moderator. i have been watching the area everyday for 3 weeks and finally decided to make a net hide on the hill looking into the valley. was in the hide about 20 mins or so and saw 3 bucks in the marsh, picked the biggest one (6 points) and waited for the right moment, range finder marked him as being 372 yards with a 0.3 mph crosswind, squeezed off the shot and thud right in the lungs, he ran about 10 feet then dropped like a stone. the other 2 bucks stayed there in the marsh and i could have shot another but that more sport for another day :/

PICT0041.jpg

PICT0046.jpg

Nice Buck :lol:

Can i ask why you have cut the neck like that :/:/

when i first went stalking when i was 6 yrs old the old guy who i was out with always did this and said it helped bleed em out. i normally dont do this but after the stalking i went rook decoying and cut the throat and hung on me truck, when i came back after decoying there was quite alot of blood in the truck. it does'nt affect the meat anyhows so for me is ok.

Hello & well done on your stalk.Dont take this wrong way but it look's like the person who showed you was self taught & this is the wrong way to bleed.You go in at the klavical bone in line with the brissket & open 2-3" then come back up neck 6-8".Once done you pump out what you can ie move front leg or stand on stomach to pump.You then expose wind pipe& food pipe seperate them & pull/scrape it then gralloch & alway's lay a beast on it's right hand side.

Hello & well done on your stalk.Dont take this wrong way but it look's like the person who showed you was self taught & this is the wrong way to bleed.You go in at the klavical bone in line with the brissket & open 2-3" then come back up neck 6-8".Once done you pump out what you can ie move front leg or stand on stomach to pump.You then expose wind pipe& food pipe seperate them & pull/scrape it then gralloch & alway's lay a beast on it's right hand side.

thanks for the advice much appreciated

Lot of hard work to bleed an animal, all that pumping!

As a slaughterman I hang by the back legs and one quick cut the head is off and 15 minutes later gravety has done all the hard work :good: during this time I skin, gut and pluck them, bury it all in a hole, pull a mutton cloth over the body and Im off home :P

yes I go shooting with a fold up Gerber spade and a roll of mutton cloth :good:

Thats so you can inspect its Pancreas for Anthrax It should be hung by the rear hocks to drain quickly to allow gravity to do its job with a blood tray beneath

Although there has been no case of deer in this country ever having anthrax but there has been cases in the USA

I personaly would hang it up by the hind legs,hold one of the front legs and insert a sharp pointed knife just under the sternham( spelling :good: ) pushing up into the chest cavity.Then draw the knife down cutting approx a 2-3 inch hole.The animal should be bled out within 2-3 mins.If you cut the arterys across the throat the blood will congeal and block the wound,by cutting them long ways they will bleed a lot better.

Nice one mate :good: , not many of them about on my side of town unfortunately.

i'm currently watching 3 more farms with roe bucks on to get a good clear idea of there habbits, so i can have a good stalk again. been watching some farms for weeks now and waiting for the right time to shoot.

Rob G

That is the standard way to stick an animal where the head stays on, ie a pig, it is a good clean way of sticking an animal if you need to carry it intact :good:

Just make sure your sleeves are up and you have a handle with a swelling or hilt so your hand doesnt slip up the blade if you hit anything :lol:

Goldfish,i too am a slaughterman have done it for the last 20yrs.In my opinion we owe the animal a bit of respect so stick it and bleed it as quickly and humanely as possible.Once it is dead then deal with the dressing of the carcass :/