shotgun mag crimp.....

69chris

I tried to do it myself a few years ago, long story short I somehow got the "cap" that stops the spring coming out stuck in the crimp and, after a real battle with the damned thing, decided I needed to hammer it through the crimp and take it from there.

I knackered it :( which resulted in a nice new one for £35. At the time I could have had an uncrimped tube for the same price but, in the interests of staying legal, just got the crimped tube.

So, buy one but stay legal (2 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, unless you have it on your fac)

thanks guys - the legal side of things is all taken care of :good:

steel tube on cheap turkish pump so un-likely to find a new mag and as the guns not worth anything i might as well (if poss) convert this one to sec1 rather than buy another

is it something that a gunsmith has to do or is it home do'able ??

cheers again :)

Or the Mossberg trick (maybe works on others?)

Unscrew said tube-reverse it and screw back in-- voila, 2 shot mag becomes a 5 shot.

Different threads on each end . Plus the fact that the" tube should not be easily removable" , so it is and often is a fact that taking the mag tube out it is damaged . I have had to change tubes on a number of semi autos when I did warranty work for an importer and its not always straight forward .

the tube is completely different at either end so any swap around isnt going to work, the tube un-screws with a touch of heat to soften the thread lock (apparently)

however, i had a proper look and the crimp is very deep, dont think it'll be easy to reverse - thats the idea i guess :lol:

003_zpsq1lqhfpw.jpg

spoke to an mate (engineer - not gunsmith) who suggested cutting out the crimp and re-fixed the 2 halves either with a very shallow sleeve or perhaps even friction welding ??

thb it sound like more hassle than its worth as a b/new sec1 version is less than 300 quid !!

cheers guys :good:

Edited by 69chris

Looking at that id just run a cutting disc through the crimp, abut the ends, slip a little insulation tape over, split a slightly too small pvc over to splint, and add a barrel clamp if needed. Assuming i wasnt too attached to the gun.

If you have suitable odds and **** lying around it will take an hour perhaps less and cost next to nil, if you need to buy much it may be worth splashing for the new one.