how often should you ideally go out to pick up dead birds in the patte

bagup-sam

Any birds that are wounded, on their backs, or well away from the pattern, I deal with straight away.

Otherwise, I wait until there is a lull and there is always a lull, often it lasts a few hours. :angry:

my whole outing is normally one big long lull.

ah well.

always seems to pay off in the end though....must be why we stick at it!

:angry: and I would also add that if you have a dog then it will be quicker and therefore less of a disturbance to the pigeon, I have 2 spaniels which are mainly white and on mixed farms I have stopped the dog when another pigeon was on it`s way into the pattern and as they were used to seeing sheep nearby they still come in :lol:

:angry: and I would also add that if you have a dog then it will be quicker and therefore less of a disturbance to the pigeon, I have 2 spaniels which are mainly white and on mixed farms I have stopped the dog when another pigeon was on it`s way into the pattern and as they were used to seeing sheep nearby they still come in :P

haha yer i would do that only my dog gets a tad overexcited and ignores all my commands and goes and picks up the deeks or the dead birds!

flippin thing! :drool::lol:

I only go out for wounded birds, and even then I sometimes give them another shot, rather than showing myself. Any laying belly up etc. I leave until the pigeons' behaviour tells me they aren't happy. Picking up every two or three birds is a bit silly isn't it? Stay behind the net until you have to reveal yourself.

If Im shooting over drillings or stubble then only when one lands either belly up or in a heap. The dog gets wounded ones although I will venture out to swap decoys for real ones.

Over laid crops or rape stubble ( neither of which are good for the dog ) I will go out when birds flare up or wont commit or I have a well marked " runner ". Last year I dropped six birds almost one on top of the other over the space of a couple of hours, must have looked like an orgy to incoming birds as it didnt put them off.

Reason I wont take the dog in laid crops is she does more damage hunting for birds she struggles to mark and rape stubble is about eye level when she picks them up