An 'amaizing' afternoon

Mightymariner

Headline serves to grab the attention.

Yesterday JDog and I were finally able to meet up for a spot of decoying, which has been difficult to arrange despite us only living ten miles apart.

Anyway, all my recce work was fruitless and I could find nothing worth setting up on. Luckily JDog was on the case and had spied two, recently cut maize cover crops which had pigeon action.

We met and checked them over. Unsure whether to shoot both or one and rope banger the other, we dithered like a couple of old dears. Then we flipped a coin to choose, and flipped again.....anyway, you get the picture. I set up on the smaller patch and Jdog on the other.

For once it was nice to be able to drive to the position, so I was set up pretty quickly.

Conditions were perfect, a strong wing at our backs, sun and cloud.

Action was brisk to start with and pigeons decoyed with extreme confidence. Unfortunately I was not confident and expended four shells in a row for nothing. Things improved and I had half a dozen in the bag when JDog joined me, his field being a disappointment.

He set up 30 yards away and pretty soon we were both in action. This field is really hilly and the birds were either coming straight over the hill at us or swinging overheard into the wind, before pitching in to the rotary. For a while they committed really well and we both had some nice shooting.

All too soon it petered out and the birds started skirting the maize. Something was putting them off. We turned the rotary off and moved the floater. Still no good. A strong line developed past us and up to more cover crops where at least two other shooters were getting plenty of shots.

No matter we had a really good afternoon, it was great to be out.

We picked a couple dozen plus a rat which JDog dispatched.

I've promised him a trip to the seaside next week to look at some peas I have.

Reports may follow.

My inability to read the flight lines put us in the wrong place. I chose to shoot the maize and the other shooters chose the strong flight line and they had many more shots than we did. Credit to them.

Looking forward to our trip to the seaside this week to look over the peas.

It certainly was a great day to be out in the Lincolnshire wolds, the conditions were ideal and having four guns in such a close proximity really did assist in keeping the birds on the move! The other two guns mentioned in this thread accounted for a nice bag of 84. A job well done by all!