.17hmr ranges

chop

I zero at 100yards. At this disance the round can pass straight through a 4" thick wooden stake.

I have had a rabbit at 170 and 190 paces. The further one took 3 shots before I hit and it was killed outright.

I am not sure the real distance in yards or meters but I am 6'2'' and my paces are quite big.

Harry

i do mine at 80yrds - so very little or no hold over up to about 140yrds, then use hold over out to 250yrds - rabbits you can take out to over 200yrds and foxes i would say no more than 100yrds - but i did shoot 2 cubs last year at 135 yrds (on the limit though for a good clean kill)

The round is normally capable of 0.5 - 0.75" groups, and so rabbit head shots at 100 yards are relatively easy and humane.

However, meat damage can be pretty severe with body shots, and this has to be borne in mind.

Never shot a fox with mine, but I wouldn't be too bothered by a head shot at 80 yards.

Don

I zero at 100yards. At this disance the round can pass straight through a 4" thick wooden stake.

I have had a rabbit at 170 and 190 paces. The further one took 3 shots before I hit and it was killed outright.

I am not sure the real distance in yards or meters but I am 6'2'' and my paces are quite big.

Harry

3 shots! was it tied to the stake :lol: :blink: :blink:

150yards on a breezy day, 180 on a still day and 80 on a windy day

Its a catch 22 what range to zero, i tend to start at 50 yards and that shoots flat between 25 and 100. at 125 its an inch low. I then re-check at 100.

Longest range is 250 but that did take 3 shots to get the drop but as it was on fresh dry drilling it was pretty simple then had a number of kills straight after, but it was dead still and the rest was very good, at that range obviously its body shots but all you have to do is hit them the lovely thing with the HMR is you very rarely only would one. I'd not normally stretch shots this far but rabbits were mullering this piece of cover and we were very limited where we could sit.

This chart gives you an idea where to start

17hmrdp2.png

Zero at 550 would produce a trajectory peaking at +115.4" @ 337yds at which point there would only be approx 30ft/lb of energy left. Continuing to drop past 0 to -77.8" @ 600 yds, with approx 6lb/ft of energy remaining.

:lol:

Zero at 550 would produce a trajectory peaking at +115.4" @ 337yds at which point there would only be approx 30ft/lb of energy left. Continuing to drop past 0 to -77.8" @ 600 yds, with approx 6lb/ft of energy remaining.

:lol:

Based on that whoever is in the butts at Bisley had better wet the target so the bullet doesn't bounce of it :blink: :blink: