Landrover TD5

I have just picked up a new Landrover TD5 Defender, having owned 7 Defenders I was realy looking forward to getting the new one.

Well they are junk problems are as follows.

1. Stalls at every junction and roundabout.

2 Needs its nuts reved of it to get it to move.

3.Serious turbo lag no power at all until 3000 revs.

4. fly by wire throtle picks up every bump in the field and truck responds by kangaroing all over the place.

Landrover are happy to tell me that all the new ones are like this and require a different driving method, but it can be re chipped but the warrenty will be null and void.

Good job I still have the old 300tdi county I will let one of my guides have the new one once I have swapped the seats over.

Does anyone elce have the same problems :unsure:

Andy

Andy

I am surprised that anyone exept the army can still afford to run these vehicles.

I have driven various landrovers since I was 17, thats more than 30 years ago.

Landrovers have a super spec, and will perform, provided you tow a factory equiped workshop with you.

In 1985 I purchased a new 110 County diesel. It was a disaster.

This list is not exhaustive and is non cronological.

power steering pump

power steering ram

variuos leaks in body

radiator

heater matrix

clutches x 2

gearboxes x3

Engine @ 23,000 miles following breakage of timing belt

indicator stalk broke with such frequency that we carried our own spare.

At 26,000 miles, following the lock up of the 3rd gear box in the outside lane of the M6 @ 70 mph the vehicle was repaired and disposed of at enormous loss.

I will never purchase another landrover product as long as I draw breath.

Following my near death experience with the 110, I went to Misibushi and bought a used Shogun. My first couple were diesel, and were great, but lacked guts. My last few have been petrol. I am not made of money, but one of my companies activities is LPG conversion, so I am subsidised based on demonstration and advertising. Over the years I have spent little on major parts; however my current vehicle is in our workshops with the cylinder heads off. I dont suppose that I can moan, its done just over 100,000 miles and a spanner has been no where near the engine before.

I accept that the landrover has a better off road spec, but for the amount of off road that I do, I could not justify a landy and a second vehicle to cover when the landy is in the workshop. Old landys are cheap to maintain and are fun. New landys are a box of steel and aluminium into which you throw heaps of money.

You have my sympathy.

webber

I was seriously considering a "cheap" (ok, 1500 notes) Series III landy until I saw the fuel specs... As a petrol, it only manages 17 or so tot he gallon!!!

I was shocked, and whilst I have no problem with whipping the engine out and replacing it with a Perkins diesel one (giving me about 35+ mpg, just the thought of having to buy a landy after selling my Omega and then having to buy a wreck to drive whilst I work on the landy for a month drives me insane!

Quite frankly, I'd rather wait a bit and then buy a cheap Suzuki like the missus has got.

Then again, if I get a new job that pays more and is local, I'd be tempted to sell the Omega and by an early 90 or a series III!

Wookie

I feel I must stick up for the TD5.

My 90 CSW is nearly 3 years old and has done 30K.

What you must accept is that it is a landrover, and as such you must expect the doors to leak, the heater to be useless and for regular trips to the pumps.

In the past I have had an old 90 and a Disco I then got a Toyota and found it so soulless I traded it in for this landy.

I have found the engine to be excellent, but I do agree with Hunterswind about the sensitive throttle.

Sorry I'm a bit of a sad Landrover fan.

Dave