"i am mainly" Merc S rebuild

ditchman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was informed today that all the new parts and upgrades will be available to pick up tomorrow.....so i thought i would have a quick wixx around the mechanicals to see if there was anything i had missed...........

checked everything but was not truly happy with the detante lock.....couldnt quite figure it out but it wasnt sounding perfect....i had cleaned the old grease out...ab#nd shoved the spring and lock back in.....anyway i thought i would be really anal and polish out the cylinder which the lock bolt slides in..so i does this with a dowel of wood and fine wet&dry..........so i start to do this and pull the dowel out and its all cut and mashed up....so i stich some petrol in and use a small screwdriver ...and out comes this bloody stuff....what you see is half of it.....been in there for 30 odd years bloody drilling swarfe from when it was made........so i polish it out....wash it out with jungle juice pack it full of grease...put it back together......RESULT...it is as slick as snot.. :yahoo::yahoo:

few more drops of oil on the wood...coming along nicely............... :good: ...(i rekon anyway)

post-11401-0-19993500-1495651957_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-33370400-1495651973_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-10873300-1495652017_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-39305800-1495652035_thumb.jpg

I hope it shoots as good as it will look Mate!

these have a very good rep' as regards to accuracy...very small groups at 11.8ftlbs..........they were brought out to compete against the German imported springers....the rifle is mechaically perfect now...proberly better than new...with a better spring...not a more powerful spring but a better one...and using my dry grease...it has every oppotunity to shoot better than the air arms one i did a few mths ago...

not happy with the Milbro select pellets i got....they are too small at 4.5mm.................JSB Exact do a 4.5mm...4.52mm....and a 4.53mm pellet so i will play with then to start of with..

Edited by ditchman

sorry ,,,much as i would like to i cant......i have several projects lined up for the next few mths ....including the rest of the Garett turbo-charger rebuild...which is half owned by VILKING and TIGHTCHOKE......then there is the Landrover aahhh...the list goes on....and if this Merc..S works well ...i will be out for bunnies and squizzers...........

thanks for asking...

PS...why dont you do it yourself....plenty of help on here you know....you dont even have to ask.. :good:

I wouldn't know where to start! The barrel is badly painted, and that paint has chipped. How would you strip that back? Then cleaning and polishing, and de burring. I think I'd ruin it!

what exactly is it anyway...................

You got him half interested Medic :lol::lol:

if it is a well known make.....and good model it is likely that there are parts still availble for it..........it really depends wether you like it or not...........its the equiverlent to the Browning auto ...(the first one)....many people think it is the ugliest gun they have ever seen....i like them with a passion...

im going quite for a bit on the Merc S re-build at the moment...as all the parts are in 'cept the cocking lever.......and im doing some reseach on the varity of springs i could use...

i might ...if it is going to be a while waiting for it to come.....

finish the Garrett Turbo charger rebuild.........

It looks very similar to the one your doing, just with a plain stock without the cheek riser. It's a bsa mercury, I think from memory the serial number had a z in it so it's a mk1 mercury from early 70's. But it's been abused, it was given to me as it is by a lad that was emigrating. It was going to go in the skip otherwise. He'd not long put a new spring in it, and probably ruined it!!

Edited by Medic1281

view of the detante lock...and breech face..............

when im finished i will go thro' everything ive done to this rifle.............nothing big or drastic....just LOADS of small things ...rectifying faults (manufacture) and finishing off what should have been done in the factory...(and a tad more.. :lol: )

cant do anymore until the new cocking lever arrives with the new Titan XS spring..(not as harsh as the Oxe spring)....

NOTE....what looks like iron fillings on the pics....is tiny flects of superfine graphite and moly powder....(dry lube)

post-11401-0-54531100-1496226467_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-06745600-1496226489_thumb.jpg

Edited by ditchman

So then, what's NEXT?

got to do the landrover enjine.....new pistons...valves...springs (different ones)....grind seats...new turbo..(rebuilt)...

want to turn it into a soft top this year....cant tho' as im finding it really difficult to sorce a set of hood sticks...( and im getting strapped for cash)...so it will have to wait until things improve...........

but if this rifle shoots good ...im going to get out and enjoy it.........

• 2 weeks later...

Well the story goes like this...........

out to the area where i test...set up target at 12m...shot ...8" low..........windage spot on.........barrell and scope not paralell .....so i shim the tube of the scope.....shot...1" low...adjust a few clicks....on target....(target size of a 5 pence piece).....did 5 shots one ragged hole all on target....

moved target out to 28m...1st shot.(..Bull 10-15mm circle)....3/4" high !!....lowered crosshairs....5 shots into bull....bit ragged but all in the bull......im huffing and puffing with shock !...stop and calm down and have a fag............

got nothing else to aim at so i thought i would adjust the trigger and the shoot at the 3 drawing pins holding the paper target on the cardboard....dooohhh..........wrong allan key in the box.....

sooo.....i settled down and squinted at the first drawing pin on full mag.....shot.............drawing pin "el gono" :lol: ...shot at second pin...."el gono" :whistling: .....

surley i cant do the 3rd....shot..."the pin was history".............

a while ago i re-built that "lunker" of an AA .22 tap gun....the target at 30m is halfway between the backstop (hedge and bank) and the end of the muzzle...when i shot the AA...you heard it hit the cardboard then lazily hit the hazel bush....

this BSA is stupid accurate...and stupid fast....you fire and it is almost "tick".."tick"...thro target and into backstop.......

over the next few days i will work on the trigger...and get this running sweet as a nut...........and when i have time i will post up my results

what a great gun this is.....the report on it ...on "the skinned and gutted" website is spot on...take a look if you will

ATB...............

post-11401-0-46193400-1497359386_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-21019400-1497359409_thumb.jpg