BSA spitfire /ligthning

darren m

any one here shoot either of these rifles in .177 .

can you tell me which pellet you found suits the BSA barrel the best .

thanks

I think there are going to be different pellets that group best out of those two rifles, mainly because the lightning is a springer and the spitfire is a PCP

• 3 weeks later...

yes the lightning xl is a great rifle in 177 my shooting buddy paul uses one and reckons hes shot more bunnies than any other rifle hes had-- i put it down to the light weight good ballance and realy good trigger,and i can second his shooting , because i get lumbered with him!! reccomended pellet is crossman premiers in 7.9/ (die 2) its got to be the cheapest nicest looking out the box tuned custom looking gun you can get,

• 3 weeks later...
Krabbit - re spares - what barrel do you have carbine or full .

what condition is your stock in .

any chance of a pic .

:) stock has some scratches - nothing that can't be repaired & is in one piece ie no splits etc... i may be keeping the barrel as i now have a lightning in .22 & i've been told the barrels may be interchangeable (in which case, i'll be devising a quick-release system for both barrels, sorry :( ). other parts ie cylinder (still needs new seal but i can't remove the brass collet inside), filling port & valves, trigger mech, hammer & spring etc... are still available & in reasonable condition :good:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a BSA lightening XL in 0.177 calibre (fitted with Theoben gas ram). I have tried quite a few different pellets and have found that H&N field target trophy are the best by far. They group really well (one hole groups at 25yds!). Bisley magnums work well too but require a different technique to get good groups - amazingly they group almost as well as the H&Ns and are great on squirrels. RWS superdomes are poor as are Crosman accupels. The accupels seem to have a lot of size variation and some go in the right place but there are lots of fliers.

any one here shoot either of these rifles in .177 .

can you tell me which pellet you found suits the BSA barrel the best .

thanks