Mild steel and where to find it?

lopylui

hello, looks like the right side not enough amp and left to slow as getting a build up, la balas right on gap put 2 small off cuts of 16 guage in between angle in vice. it is just a matter of practice and more practice, oh change that earth clamp for a decent one, ? is there any welding courses in your area, ?

hello, on leaving school in 1965 i went into engineering with 4 year apprentice, and when i came to learn arc welding as that was most done in those days, we made machinery for the goverment who sent them out to Africa, one job was welding boxes 100s of them at a time, sides and ends were cut and you had to tack together keeping square, then weld in opposite, day after day, then grind off clean, hated it but you learned how to stick weld, it was not for a few years after that M I G welding became the norm for fabricators/ engineers/ in heavy industry

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, looks like the right side not enough amp and left to slow as getting a build up, la balas right on gap put 2 small off cuts of 16 guage in between angle in vice. it is just a matter of practice and more practice, oh change that earth clamp for a decent one, ? is there any welding courses in your area, ?

Nothing much worth doing in sheff but theres some good courses in Chesterfield, just have to sus some travel plans. Both welds are exactly the same setup all besides who was doing it. Im wanting some more leads as the ones supplied are rather short.

Will try and get more practice in today.

Nothing much worth doing in sheff but theres some good courses in Chesterfield, just have to sus some travel plans. Both welds are exactly the same setup all besides who was doing it. Im wanting some more leads as the ones supplied are rather short.

if that is your first attempt.......you are doing well...by the time you have burnt a packet of rods down hand....it will smarten up nice... :good:

if that is your first attempt.......you are doing well...by the time you have burnt a packet of rods down hand....it will smarten up nice... :good:

and at least you didn't weld the test-piece to the vice :lol:

hello, timing ? i can see one of you was a bit slow tother was to fast, it all comes with practice as others have said to, i would not worry on leads for now just get a better earth clamp, those tinny ones are **** , if you can get on a course do MIG and ARC, what welders mask are you using ,

what welders mask are you using ,

DSC_0061.jpg

And todays efforts...

A crude attempt at fabricating a chipping hammer. One side has a point and the other has a rounded chisel edge. If anything it works better than the one that came with the unit.

DSC_0067.jpg

And more practice, I tried following the straight edges of this piece,

DSC_0066.jpg

you are getting better....try it on different amperages......when you are striking an arc ...do it like striking a match....

:) :) :), I will try different amperages but its not a very fine adjustment on my machine and thats the way iv been doing it and its starting to get easier to strike my only problem now is im running out of scraps to weld on

Once you have got the hang of welding 2 pieces together, hacksaw through your work, ie across it, then you can see what penetration you have achieved. Keep practicing, it will come. I have used a mig for many years now, but will never get rid of my old oil cooled stick welder.

look here uk ebay, Parweld earth clamp £6 no 201169745154,

Iv put it on my watch list for when Iv got a few pennies :P

A buddy of mine has suggested using a clamp from a set of lump leads? Good idea?

Edited by lopylui

Iv put it on my watch list for when Iv got a few pennies :P

A buddy of mine has suggested using a clamp from a set of lump leads? Good idea?

hello, if the jump lead clamp is like your welders then no, if it is like the one i mention off ebay yes, i just do not understand why they put a tinny earth clamps on but it will work just not the solid grip it should be, HOW IS YOUR WELDING COMING ON ?????

hello, if the jump lead clamp is like your welders then no, if it is like the one i mention off ebay yes, i just do not understand why they put a tinny earth clamps on but it will work just not the solid grip it should be, HOW IS YOUR WELDING COMING ON ?????

Its still a bit hit or miss, iv not had much time to play this week between rain and getting stuff sorted ready to send young lad off to Spain with his dad.

• 3 weeks later...