Could of been the best catch of his life

Davyo

Took my boy Ben (12 yrs) fishing a Seaham Pier at 5pm for a spot of Mackerel fishing on Saturday.We had been there about an hour and bagged half a dozen.We where fishing about 40 mtrs from the end of the pier.I decided to move up a bit so I was about 30 mtrs away.Id only been in my spot 10 minutes when looked like he was struggling with a full house which he has never struggled with before. (6 mackies).Two blokes on his left dropped their rods and ran towards Ben,both making a grab for the line.I just thought they where hoisting a full house up the pier wall.But then it looked like they snapped off.A third lad joined them and their was a big conversation and Ben getting a tap on the back.When I walked up all 3 lads said he had pulled up a Sun fish that must of been between 20/30lb (Took 2 blokes to break the surface at the wall).Now I didn't see what it was but all 3 seems certain it was a Sun fish.We are quite happy knowing that what ever it was it was big.My sons went to bed one tired happy lad,but I only wish he had managed to land it as a photo of what ever it was would of been great.Well done Ben and a massive thank you to the two fellas who attempted to pull it up the wall.

Had he getting it on to the pier and a picture with witnesses it would of been magical.One of the lads said it would of broke UK records and he would of got his picture in the Angling Times.

Saying that though on Sunday morning (5am) when we got on the pier it was obvious that word had spread as everyone wanted to either shake his hand or pat him on the back.Will never see a Sun Fish again in his lifetime but a experience he will never forget and he's revelling in the fact that he's everyone's hero at the mo

Edited by Davyo

He must of snagged it as they are planton eaters i have seen it happen when i was fishing on a boat in devon.

I bet your lad will talk about for a very long time.

Yep according to Ben it was on the surface when he pulled his feathers through it.Thought it was a large carrier bag on the surface, foul hook it.

Got a PM from a lad who writes for some papers.

Dave

I have given him a mention in this Fridays Journal and the Sunday Sun which I write the sea angling column for, pity he didn't land it as I don't have a record of one from the shore from Whitby to St Abbs, and my records go back to the 1950's have a few hooked from boats