Roman coin

winnie&bezza

Its ok. Its just à detecting forum i use. One of the best uk detecting forum .i just copied all that was wrote the guy who Id the coin is amazing. He does not detect now due to ill health .but loves See our finds. And tell us what they are .he is amazing man .enjoy your coin .and read up on how to protect it. As its been around a while .our modern coins fall in the ground and within a couple of years have rusted away .

Edited by johnphilip

Its ok. Its just à detecting forum i use. One of the best uk detecting forum .i just copied all that was wrote the guy who Id the coin is amazing. He does not detect now due to ill health .but loves See our finds. And tell us what they are .he is amazing man .enjoy your coin .and read up on how to protect it. As its been around a while .our modern coins fall in the ground and within a couple of years have rusted away .

Yes it will be looked after certainly. Do you know if it has any value of any sort? Wouldn't sell it anyway.

If that coin could talk it would tell many stories. I have a Licinius the 1st coin I found whilst walking up a track in Shipton Bellinger, Tidworth nearly forty years ago. Was out on a walk and can still remember me scuffing it up whilst kicking stones along the track. Of little monetary value as they were produced in huge quantities, still what an exciting find!

As always someone on pw points you in the right direction, sound like an exciting provenance of your coin and wonder what your coin had purchased in it's time? Good man jp.

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

If that coin could talk it would tell many stories. I have a Licinius the 1st coin I found whilst walking up a track in Shipton Bellinger, Tidworth nearly forty years ago. Was out on a walk and can still remember me scuffing it up whilst kicking stones along the track. Of little monetary value as they were produced in huge quantities, still what an exciting find!

As always someone on pw points you in the right direction, sound like an exciting provenance of your coin and wonder what your coin had purchased in it's time? Good man jp.

atb

7diaw

hello, if you google roman occupation in that area you might find some more info, Licinius was at the end of the Tetrarchy period 285 307 AD, one of the best coin finds was i think found the same way along a river walk in bedfordshire, as shaw taylor use to say on tv keepem peeled :)

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

hello, if you google roman occupation in that area you might find some more info, Licinius was at the end of the Tetrarchy period 285 307 AD, one of the best coin finds was i think found the same way along a river walk in bedfordshire, as shaw taylor use to say on tv keepem peeled :)

Cheers opp will have a look, it was a chance finding at the time and as you say still keep my eyes peeled all these years on.

atb

7diaw

if you let me know on area i will look up the info tonight and reply

hello, winnie and bez, there are 9 listed roman roads in kent from my book by roger wilson ( ROMAN BRITAIN) the main one being Watling Street and maybe your coin was dropped towards the end of the roman occupation, there are 3 types of your coin, and it was the correct from john, not my nero ha ha, must get some glasses. ok Maximinus 11 Ae Follis, london mint/ Ae Follis other mints/ Ae Radiate, you will need to show an expert on roman coins to see where you coin minted as i cannot see letters clear, my book is 2008, so value has changed, it reads/ if london £12 to £110/ other mints £6 to £55/radiate £8 to £75 i would suggest you add 25% 30% maybe more for up to date. oh when i found the Nero coin it went to P A S to be checked out and info given, your local museum might have monthly detector find day you could take your coin along. i have also found some roman silver coins but never had the luck on a roman gold, :rolleyes: cheers ps

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Cheers opp will have a look, it was a chance finding at the time and as you say still keep my eyes peeled all these years on.

atb

7diaw

hello, where you found the coin is not far from a roman road that goes from andover along the 303 route then diverts up to bath and down to somerset