New project

la bala

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rollers finished, job done. There you go mother your mangle lives on :lol: . I think that old thing must be close on 100 years old. The one inch square centre shaft that came out of the old rollers is I believe, wrought iron, its heavier than a piece of mild steel that size.

post-52836-0-01883800-1501086080_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-19242800-1501086113_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-17187500-1501086144_thumb.jpg

whats it up to now ?....................did you get any interest from down saurff.............

still waiting to hear back from them, just emailed them again now, its up to £14.500 at the moment, 2 hours to go

i see now, very nice, i have some (poo brown) paint left over if you want to give it a fresh look :lol:

The one inch square centre shaft that came out of the old rollers is I believe, wrought iron, its heavier than a piece of mild steel that size.

Can't be, they are as near as dammit the same specific gravity.

Good job on the rollers

ohhh .....its a mangle................and here was me thinking it was a lawnmower....................jesus Bala....you are getting in touch with your fiminine side...........................

are you coming out ??.............all this LGBTQ....stuff floating about ...must be catching

Amateur, Out of interest i decided to test the 1 inch bar. When I put the grinder on it, dull sparks no carbon. The nick and bend test came out just like the test picture. I havnt got any 1inch mild steel bar .to weigh but out of interest, i will get a bit. The first pic is from one of the remaining wrought iron companies left in uk, the next pics are of my bar

post-52836-0-92988000-1501166420_thumb.png

post-52836-0-73378700-1501166468_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-35729700-1501166515_thumb.jpg

ohhh .....its a mangle................and here was me thinking it was a lawnmower....................jesus Bala....you are getting in touch with your fiminine side...........................

are you coming out ??.............all this LGBTQ....stuff floating about ...must be catching

The way i used to spin that handle as a little kid, its a wonder i have any teeth :lol:

Amateur, Out of interest i decided to test the 1 inch bar. When I put the grinder on it, dull sparks no carbon. The nick and bend test came out just like the test picture. I havnt got any 1inch mild steel bar .to weigh but out of interest, i will get a bit. The first pic is from one of the remaining wrought iron companies left in uk, the next pics are of my bar

I was just quoting from the handy tables in my "Mechanical World Year Book 1969 - 9/6d net" donated to me by my dear old ex-engineer father when I started playing with motorbikes.

Apart from such useful facts as the drilling sizes for tapping both metric and BS threads and the applications and special properties of EN steels, it gives a handy table of weights in pounds per lineal foot of square wrought iron and steel bars.

A foot of inch square wrought iron is quoted as 3.333lbs and steel is 3.400lbs. I just love the precision of that 3rd decimal place.

And to think that I have waited nearly 50 years to be able to quote that fact. :lol:

Google .... Pah!

Edited by amateur

I was just quoting from the handy tables in my "Mechanical World Year Book 1969 - 9/6d net" donated to me by my dear old ex-engineer father when I started playing with motorbikes.

Apart from such useful facts as the drilling sizes for tapping both metric and BS threads and the applications and special properties of EN steels, it gives a handy table of weights in pounds per lineal foot of square wrought iron and steel bars.

A foot of inch square wrought iron is quoted as 3.333lbs and steel is 3.400lbs. I just love the precision of that 3rd decimal place.

And to think that I have waited nearly 50 years to be able to quote that fact. :lol:

Google .... Pah!

That sounds one interesting book bud, dont ever throw it away, i will give it a home :good:

That sounds one interesting book bud, dont ever throw it away, i will give it a home :good:

I think that these were given away to professional engineers in the 50's/60's/70's by sales reps.

As well as being packed with tables (Logarithms, cosines, Birmingham Wire gauge, anyone?) and technical articles ( "Adhesives for metal bonding" , "Pumps, characteristics, selection and application") it has pages and pages of advertising from now defunct British engineering companies and suppliers. I shall never be short of obsolete engineering facts!

It will probably go to my 7 year old grandson when he is older - he is showing a healthy interest in motorbikes, so when he has grown up a bit, I will show him how to make things in the workshop.

I think that these were given away to professional engineers in the 50's/60's/70's by sales reps.

As well as being packed with tables (Logarithms, cosines, Birmingham Wire gauge, anyone?) and technical articles ( "Adhesives for metal bonding" , "Pumps, characteristics, selection and application") it has pages and pages of advertising from now defunct British engineering companies and suppliers. I shall never be short of obsolete engineering facts!

It will probably go to my 7 year old grandson when he is older - he is showing a healthy interest in motorbikes, so when he has grown up a bit, I will show him how to make things in the workshop.

Good to see the young-uns have other interests rather than sitting in front of a play station. I too was once a biker but back in the days of BSA GOLD STAR, TRIUMPH TIGER 110, NORTON DOMINATOR and the like, now i am showing my age :lol:

Good to see the young-uns have other interests rather than sitting in front of a play station. I too was once a biker but back in the days of BSA GOLD STAR, TRIUMPH TIGER 110, NORTON DOMINATOR and the like, now i am showing my age :lol:

and drive a tricycle...(with pedals on the front wheel) :good:

Just to prove im a drip as well......had to go for a lay down after being on the roof putting up a new lashing kit and ariel................my knees started to shake soooo bad....im sorry i dont do heights anymore.. :lol: