Day at the hospital

fse10

Have had a pain in my right kidney for a few weeks, failing to get a GP appointment the pain got to much to bear & swmo gave me my orders so off to A&E. Four hours to see a doctor who said it maybe a stone so sent for a CT scan which you have to be seen & scanned within four hours well seven hours later & got seen. Doctor came to see me said the scan did not pick up any stones, i was still in a lot of pain doctor said she would get her boss to check the results again. Ten minutes later she came back still did not know what was causing the pain & asked me if i had ever had surgery on my tummy or kidneys no i say whys that? Well she said the scan has shown you only have one kidney :w00t: . Bit worried quick look on Google & it says can effect 1 in every 750 babies more so males then females but should lead normal life. Bit of a shock but life go's on & already told the daughters if my kidney ever fails expect a phone call :lol: .

Have had a pain in my right kidney for a few weeks, failing to get a GP appointment the pain got to much to bear & swmo gave me my orders so off to A&E. Four hours to see a doctor who said it maybe a stone so sent for a CT scan which you have to be seen & scanned within four hours well seven hours later & got seen. Doctor came to see me said the scan did not pick up any stones, i was still in a lot of pain doctor said she would get her boss to check the results again. Ten minutes later she came back still did not know what was causing the pain & asked me if i had ever had surgery on my tummy or kidneys no i say whys that? Well she said the scan has shown you only have one kidney :w00t: . Bit worried quick look on Google & it says can effect 1 in every 750 babies more so males then females but should lead normal life. Bit of a shock but life go's on & already told the daughters if my kidney ever fails expect a phone call :lol: .

Drink plenty of water and keep that one flushed bud.

I've had kidney stones which can be VERY painful. I was in so much pain I couldn't stand still. My Doctor (this was about 20 years ago) told me it was one of the most painful things to get, but usually 'self cures'. Gave me an injection of painkiller there and then and some very strong prescription painkillers (which meant no driving) and arranged an X ray later that day at the hospital.

My X ray showed nothing and it did self cure, but that is what it was (I have had it less badly a few times since. You must ensure that you don't get dehydrated, and at the first sign of any pain, drink water (or something water based) taking at least a mug full every hour to help flush through. I now know what the warning signs are (pain in lower back/RHS) and can usually get away with a day or two of some discomfort rather than the serious pain of a full blown event. I also have a 'reserve' of painkillers (have to be careful what I take as on other medication that doesn't agree with some anti inflams) on a 'just in case' basis, but haven't taken one for some years.

I hope that you get over it soon as I know how horribly painful it can be. My grandfather lived to a grand old age on one kidney, so its not normally a problem at all only having one.