Semi auto safety

vole

Been shooting,very safely for 6 months so unload my o/u for fences etc as per safety guidelines.I carry it broken until ready to take shot etc.How do semi auto users keep safe when in the field,considering just having the safety on does not ensure safety?Thanks!!

Depends what quarry you're after. I sometimes take mine foxing. I keep it loaded all of the time relying on two or three things, muzzle direction and the safety (third being a large degree of cop-on). It's too noisy to be loading and unloading half of the night. Infact the more I think of it I keep it loaded whenever I'm walkabout. Just be sensible, take your time going over obstacles, use your brain, have good foot and handholds. Don;t point it at anything you don't want to fustigate.

Blimey, prior to reading these posts, I was anti compulsary testing, now I'm not so sure.

Can anyone tell me why they consider it safe to cross a fence or ditch with a loaded semi auto, when it is common knowledge that you unload break barrel guns.

It is a simple procedure to unchamber the loaded cartridge, and then close the bolt. The other cartridges are quite safe in the magazine tube. An unloaded gun never killed anyone.

I very nearly lost my foot, all but for 3 inches, thanks to a pillok, with whom I will never shoot again. Put simply dont take chances with loaded guns, its common sence.

webber

My Xtrema has a button which holds the rounds in the mag tube. All I do is cycle the bolt and catch the shell, climb the fence, then re-chamber the round once over. Only takes two seconds! As for the noise, a lost bunny is better than a lost foot/life :lol:

Normally I just slip the chambered cartridge out, if putting it in the truck to move areas, if going over a ditch, through brambles etc, the safety is on and I have developed the habit, with all guns, of putting the whole of my hand over the trigger guard, completely covering it.

If clay shooting or in company I use an AUTOGUARD its a rubber bung shaped like a cartridge with a 2" green flag or tag , it shows everyone that the Auto is safe and chamber is unloaded.

IMO this device is well worth having as it instantly shows the gun is safe.

:lol: D2D

My Xtrema has a button which holds the rounds in the mag tube. All I do is cycle the bolt and catch the shell, climb the fence, then re-chamber the round once over. Only takes two seconds! As for the noise, a lost bunny is better than a lost foot/life :lol:

:lol: