Game licence

Pigeon Pieman

I suppose a lot of that depends on where your land is and who are the neighbours.  Some friends had problems with feral cats and they first asked the neighbouring farms if they were theirs.  When they said definitely no, the cats were despatched.

PS to the other post - as pigeons and rabbits are not classed as game, you do not necessarily need to sell them to a licensed game dealer, or be one to sell them on to the public.

If pieman is correct, it would mean that I would need a game license when I go ratting around the sheds (after all, it is for sport - otherwise I'd just put down more poison / borrow a terrier).

Rats=game....I think not!

But then again, the rules are so messy, I wouldn't be that surprised.  I wonder what the game dealer would say if I tried to sell him a bucket of rats?!   :laugh:

I wouldnt go with what your local police headquarters say as being gospel, the police are not the best at knowing the exact letter of the law regarding shooting, I have on numerous ocasions called my police Hq and had to steer them in the direction of the truth and received a call back saying they have contacted the home ofice and I was right in what I was saying.

All difrent regions have difrent ways of interpreting the laws that they go by, but in reality we all go with the homeofice issued police guide to firearms law, its amazing when the policeman I know read the book, he called me to say he couldnt believe some of the laws which he said were not what his firearms department know as being the law.

Heres one for all you rifle shooters, it is law that you dont have to have bullets or heads signed into your cert by an RFD or a fellow Cert holder ( as long as the bullets or heads can be traced back to an RFD who has entered them into his ledger). Any cert holder can give a fellow cert holder ammunition without entering it into their cert.

As for pigeons and rabbits being vermin, indeed they are classed as that, but in Scotland if you are caught over your boundry with a pigeon or a rabbit in your game bag, you will be charged with being in pursuit of game,

Of course not everyone will agree with what I have said, but I do my homework and stand by it.

Cheers

Thanks to columbus, I've just found this thread.

Despite the advice on here, the advice from your local firearms dept, and the advice from BASC, here is the reality:

YOU DO NOT NEED A GAME LICENCE TO SHOOT PIGEONS.

There, that was simple really, I know that your local firearms bobbies may give you a different answer. They are wrong, did that job for long enough to know the FACTS.

There is far too much of this political correctness being accepted as gospel by shooters, pigeons are classed as PESTS...stand your ground and state your case, the average bobby ain't too clued up on firearms law, and is therefore likely to interpret it the wrong way.

You don't need a game licence.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as I said...........

My experience of the police is that there is one guy who is an expert (and a keen shot), but the rest of them in the department are admin staff who aren't so clued up.  However, in my region, they won't give out information they aren't certain about until it has been checked by the head guy.

I came across an item in an old shooting book today.

In 1899, the cost of a game licence was £3 (probably about £50 in todays money), and the cost of a gun licence (annual) was 10 shillings.  Interesting how the proportions have reversed over the last 100 years.