Rat poison tunnels

stuartyboy

Have caught a few rats in live catch traps in my garden. Am looking for recommendations for rat poison and a feeder/tunnel for it if anyone can kindly advise?

Rats are attracted to bird feeders so have reduced feed, timing of feed etc but looking for some way to get the poison to the rats without the birds or other wildlife having contact or being affected.

Using traps at moment, can't shoot them due to location or access their burrows so needing to use poison safely as possible.

Thanks

Rodilon (Difethialone) is what I use in bait stations which can be bought from most diy or agricultural shops.

The blocks have holes through so can be secured to wood with a screw or nail to stop them being taken away & encourage eating on site. Only use this presentation when non target species cannot get at the bait.

Had a rat problem which seems to have been sorted out with this bait fairly quickly.

Also have been told that Storm Secure (Fiocoumafen) or Jaguar (Brodifacoum) also works.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many baits available and if used correctly they will work.

Anti Tamper, Species Specific bait boxes should be used for ALL external applications.

Nailing a bait block to a lump of wood doesn't stop, birds, children, cats/dogs, other non target species, etc etc accessing the bait!

1 block isn't going to solve your problems either, you need enough bait to kill at one visit There are very few knockdown baits (most of which are only approved for indoor use anyway), almost all of them still have a delay.

Rodilon is pretty new, but remember it is only approved for use indoors and close to buildings in England!

I can't even remember seeing Warfarin for years!

Yep not used it myself for some time now, so what's the replacement for Warfarin? Or can you still get it?

update:

Ok just found anti-coagulant Bromadilone, amongst others, I presume this is the replacement for Warfarin? reading the blurb it sounds like it works just the same as Warfarin and it can also be lethal to other animals eating the dead rats.

Edited by old'un

Hi

Ask a local Farmer who wraps hay ales in the cling-film type wrap - the plastic rolls the wrap comes on is ideal as made of about 10mm rubber/plastic tube, 4"dia and about 18" long.

Weatherproof and doesnt allow other than Rats/Mice in.

L

Yep not used it myself for some time now, so what's the replacement for Warfarin? Or can you still get it?

update:

Ok just found anti-coagulant Bromadilone, amongst others, I presume this is the replacement for Warfarin? reading the blurb it sounds like it works just the same as Warfarin and it can also be lethal to other animals eating the dead rats.

Active ingredients of Bromadiolone and Difenacoum are the basic replacement, with Brodifacoum as well, but that was only approved for internal use. These remain some of the most commonly used today. Secondary poisoning is very rare if baits are used and presented properly. Delays are built into the baits (meaning many rodents die at home) and the amount of dead animals others wildlife would have to consume to be effected is commonly beyond the size of their stomach!

Newer ingredients have cropped up over the years and I have found some of the new ones very effective if I am struggling with some of the above!