Smart meters

baikiel boy

How stupid is that ?

It is a government specified system - that is how it gets to be so stupid - and it is completely stupid when we are encouraged to 'shop around' for the best deal. But the smart meter was mandated by Labour (Ed Miliband as Energy Minister) - and they want to re-nationalise the utilities anyway, so there was probably a hidden agenda there to use the incompatibility as grounds for re-nationalisation

Im surprised some PWers arent still living in caves. Lol.

Why would the North Koreans hack your smart meter? They might target a power station but I cant imagine Kim Jongs hackers sitting there saying lets see if we can muck up Fred Smith from Arcadia Avenues smart meter.

The risk would be about numbers, and a few "ifs". If I was clever enough to hack a standard smart meter, installed in millions of homes, then apply that hack to those millions of standard smart meters, I could then gain control of all those meters. I'd become a "zombie master" and all those devices would be my "zombies". If those meters do have, or could be made to have, the ability to turn on/off power then I could effectively press a button on my PC and tell all those smart meters stop using power or, probably worse, demand power. This could overload the power grid and shutdown parts / all of the UK. It's exactly the same principle as many other viruses / hacks that work on numbers.

It's not too far fetched a scenario - the grid already has to be managed to accommodate *known* power demand spikes at certain times such as the ad-break during Corry when milions go and turn on the kettle.

Ultimately you won't be able to avoid having a smart meter.... the meter is the supply company's property and they can fit/replace it with whatever they want whenever they want, you have no say in the matter, and sooner or later they'll all be using them.

Most companies are waiting for the new "standard" 2nd generation of meter to be perfected, then there will be a mass roll out, the 2nd generation meters are supposed to have a universal standard and can work with all suppliers using a common interface standard.

Mat