Vietnam TV Series

Laird Lugton

Just a heads up for anyone whose interested. Ken Burns has taken 10 years to make a series on the Vietnam war and it's very good. Looking at it from all angles - the political angle, the views of the Vietnamese (both sides) and the ordinary US GI. Worth checking out if you're interested in that kind of thing.

It's available on the iplayer or if you have Sky it's available on demand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b096k7q7

Edited by Laird Lugton

A brilliant series, but catch it quick before it disappears from iplayer. The actual footage and testimony from both vc and Americans is incredible.

Ultimately a hugely tragic tale, as each of the 3 presidents involved knew the war was an unwinnable folly, but couldn't take the decision to walk away because of their fear of looking personally and politically weak.

Finished tonight, but, as written above, it's still available on iPlayer.

I was a teenager when it started and although there was plenty on the news at the time, this documentary filled in a lot of the gaps in my knowledge.

As an aside, an American pal of mine was in the US Coastguard, based on the Mekong in Cambodia.

I recently asked him what his memories were of Vietnam, and he said that he had never set foot in the country - all his fighting and R&R was in Cambodia.