My best hunting buddy

staffyspen

22 hours ago, Mice! said:

very jealous, flew some on my 40th although the falcon on the day was the most impressive I still really like the adaptability of the Harris.

Thanks,

he’s great, the harris is by far the most adaptable, in my opinion, although there are many better “flying” birds and many better “killers”!

20 hours ago, mel b3 said:

what a fantastic looking bird.

was that pic taken locally ? , i seem to recognise the skyline.

Thanks Mel, 

im not too far from you, in-fact, if I remember right, I came to yours and met Gary and drove over Stafford a few years back, I did a bit of ferreting to guns?!

the picture was taken over frankly beaches, I exercise/free fly him over there, no permission to hunt but a walk the public right aways.

regards

spence

21 minutes ago, staffyspen said:

Thanks,

he’s great, the harris is by far the most adaptable, in my opinion, although there are many better “flying” birds and many better “killers”!

Thanks Mel, 

im not too far from you, in-fact, if I remember right, I came to yours and met Gary and drove over Stafford a few years back, I did a bit of ferreting to guns?!

the picture was taken over frankly beaches, I exercise/free fly him over there, no permission to hunt but a walk the public right aways.

regards

spence

You’ll have Jack Cherry turning in his grave, his ashes are scattered by his bench.

57 minutes ago, staffyspen said:

Thanks,

Thanks Mel, 

regards

spence

i remember now . hows mark doing ? , i havent heard from him in ages .

youre welcome to bring the bird and have a wander around a couple of my permissions if you fancy it spence , i know one or two little rabbit hotspots.

Just now, mel b3 said:

i remember now . hows mark doing ? , i havent heard from him in ages .

youre welcome to bring the bird and have a wander around a couple of my permissions if you fancy it spence , i know one or two little rabbit hotspots.

He’s alright mate, I’ll tell him you asked!!

that would be great mate, what I have at the mo is barely worth flying at!

you keeping well?

1 minute ago, staffyspen said:

He’s alright mate, I’ll tell him you asked!!

that would be great mate, what I have at the mo is barely worth flying at!

you keeping well?

all good here cheers spence , hows things with you mate ?. ill pm my mob no and we can sort something out.

Nice one Mel, chap puts up a pic for us to enjoy and gets to fly his bird somewhere cracking.

The Harris is definitely what I would get if I had the time for a bird, I know some folk say there too easy to train but how is that a bad thing? Still yet to see one catch but amazing to watch them do what they do.

49 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Nice one Mel, chap puts up a pic for us to enjoy and gets to fly his bird somewhere cracking.

The Harris is definitely what I would get if I had the time for a bird, I know some folk say there too easy to train but how is that a bad thing? Still yet to see one catch but amazing to watch them do what they do.

Never too easy to train, to easy to mess up, they learn fast and forget little I have found!

33 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

Saw one catch a ferreted rabbit a while ago. A group of four  Hawkers (?) visited one of my perms and I was spectating. Fantastic birds to watch hunting.

SDC11789.jpg

Nice young bird!

Seeing a hawk 8ft up in a bare tree working above a ferret waiting for an imminent bolt is unbelievable, don’t get me wrong, my a hole twitches a lot when he’s up there but he knows a ferret from a rabbit!

IMG-20160911-WA0019_450x800.jpg.59c598d652a432e4709b73ae4b6d63e6.jpg

this was the highlight of my 40th flying experience, she apparently didn't like windy conditions but it was still in the morning so they had fed the other falcon, my word did it get some hight.

never even considered a falcon, couple of flights then your done against say a Harris where you can wander hedgerows or such like half the day, then I watched her fly wow

Edited by Mice!

37 minutes ago, Mice! said:

IMG-20160911-WA0019_450x800.jpg.59c598d652a432e4709b73ae4b6d63e6.jpg

this was the highlight of my 40th flying experience, she apparently didn't like windy conditions but it was still in the morning so they had fed the other falcon, my word did it get some hight.

never even considered a falcon, couple of flights then your done against say a Harris where you can wander hedgerows or such like half the day, then I watched her fly wow

Falcons are exciting, fast birds and useful in there own rights, to get the full potential from such a bird you need to be flying very regularly. My friend flies a male Lanner falcon, very similar to the picture, on the lure and it’s great to see!

i prefer to closeness, teamwork feel of flying/hunting with the harris!