Pigeon Snow Show.

Clodhopper

Having had to postpone pigeon shooting for the last few days due to snow drifts blocking roads and having to spend extra time getting food to livestock, today was the first opportunity to get out. Contact was made with JDog but he was unsure if he could get out of his village. Giles was keen so we decided on meeting in the afternoon for an hour or so whilst my good lady attended to the horses.

We went to a rape field we have not shot yet this year to find around 200 feeding and others joining from a wood a little over a mile away. The wind was a strong 40+ mph easterly. We set up a magnet in a sheltered area of the field that the birds seemed to be favouring. Did not bother with a hide as we planned to get tucked into the snow drifts behind a hedge and intercept the birds as they skimmed across the field.

This birds came back straight away flying towards us within a few feet of the ground. They were often difficult to see against the snow covered background and numerous birds just appeared as if from nowhere. Birds came both in small groups and large (50+) for around 2 hours. We struggled with them a lot as they banked round on the wind following the first shot. This was sport right out of the top draw, we had every shot in the book.

We packed up around 3.30pm as the flightline had moved, we were both freeezing and nearly out of cartridges. 

We picked 35 very memorable pigeons.

Sorry I couldn’t be there but the snow is drifting across the minor roads into the village and I doubt I would have made it.

Just occasionally a superb day materialises out of nothing and you had that today. I would have frozen to death.

Mrs Clodhopper will have you on a short leash for a while.

13 minutes ago, JDog said:

Sorry I couldn’t be there but the snow is drifting across the minor roads into the village and I doubt I would have made it.

Just occasionally a superb day materialises out of nothing and you had that today. I would have frozen to death.

Mrs Clodhopper will have you on a short leash for a while.

I mentioned to her that I would like to get out tomorrow afternoon and she said that was ok, just have horse jobs to do in the morning.