How to zero a scope with a single shot

Harnser

Thought I would post this method of zeroing up to help those who struggle to zero their rifles . First thing is to centralise the reticle on your scope . It’s simple . Screw the elevation turret All the way down to the bottom and then screw it all the way back counting the clicks . When you have screwed it all the back up and you have counted let’s say 100 clicks  ,then click it 50 clicks down .Do exactly the same with the wind age turret .when this is done your reticle will be centralised in the scope .

Now the important part . The rifle  must be well supported on a bipod and bags and aimed at your aiming mark on the target board . With a centre fire rifle I like to use a 3 foot square target board covered in white paper . A single small aiming mark in the centre of the paper at 100 yards . The first shot is the most important one and must be taken with the upmost care . Take this shot with the gun fully supported to make sure you get an accurate steady shot . Now look through you scope at the target board and support the gun on your bipod and bags and aim the cross hairs again at your aiming mark . With out moving the gun off the aiming mark carefully click your windage and elevation until you are zeroed in the centre of the bullet hole from your shot .  Congratulations you are now zeroed . You may have to make a couple of minor adjustments but the hard work is now done .

I know many on here use this method of zeroing but I thought it would help novice riflemen . This method will work with all calibres including air guns . I have used this method for many years and it only failed me once when I had a scope that wouldn’t hold zero .

harnser

Edited by Harnser

1 hour ago, oowee said:

It would have helped me a couple of weeks ago and saved me a few quid 

Worth barrel sighting first just to make sure the first shot is on the paper. 

This method eliminates the need to bore site as such and is easier and more accurate .

harnser

Just now, Andy RV said:

Fine if you can be sure you haven’t moved the rifle but without a vice that’s not easily done!

Yes it's a pain when you 're just bout to do the last few clicks and the rifle moves. DAM  

got to start again. Lol.

I used to use a work bench weighted down with concrete blocks.