House of Lords

krugerandsmith

33 minutes ago, mick miller said:

I'm desperately trying to find my post, shortly after the Brexit vote, that stated that the political classes would never allow this decision to stand and would block, upset and prevent it happening by any means whatsoever. The replies came thick and fast that folk would riot. I think we would do better by simply abstaining from any future further involvement in the political process whatsoever. I know that, if this isn't delivered, I simply won't bother voting in future. The 'illusion' of democracy will have become absolute in my mind.

I think thats what remoaners hope for.

7 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I wanted to be sure of my understanding of treason, and according to this some of them are comitting treason and wonder why they are allowed to get away with it:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/treason

Are the Lords exempt from treason charges?

It only fits if you reckon the interests of the nation as a whole are clearly best served by leaving. Given the population was split damned close to 50:50 on the matter I suspect it would be impossible to make the case stick.

Im not sure which way the country is better off in terms of Brexit, but I am sure that the house of lords being largely unelected and full of people not having to pander to a political flag acts as a well needed brake on the extremes of policy brought about by rapidly changing governments and the whims of democracy. An example, although a rare one where the house of Lords ultimately softened but failed to stop kneejerk legislation, is the hunting act. 

Edited by Wb123

2 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Yeah, and I bet you appreciated my Brexit vote too! :)

Yes. Although this was more a tongue in cheek reference to the most recent May cock up, the Windrush debacle. Lord knows who will be next to have the rug pulled from under them.