Could someone clarify a change in the law

JONO

Jono

There is an article in April issue of Sporting Gun.

Basically if you shoot at CPSA registered shoots, you have to wear safety specs.

So for woodies, and pigeon watch correspondence, flack jacket and safety hat yes; safety specs, not yet!

Now adays I have to wear glasses to see to shoot anyway, and I have yet to get around to some prescription shooting glasses. This could spell the end of my clay days at decent grounds if they impose a strict rule. I suffer from diabeties, which is affecting my eye sight. My prescription for glasses has changed 3 times in just over one year. I get free eye tests, but not free glasses. I am going to investigate the possibility of suitably toughened glasses, and wear them for driving and shooting.

webber

Webber

Cheers for the reply.

Basically if you shoot at CPSA registered shoots, you have to wear safety specs

Presumably any clay club wanting to survive will end up buying and providing their own.

Would any safety specs do (eg DIY ones) or did the article specify on design and particular models etc?

Jono

I suspect any glasses that call themselves "safety glasses", must conform to some British Standard.

There will be a variety of standards of "safety", as well.

I suspect for clay shooting, you will need amber lensed, aviator swept back styled frames, with a nice curly elasticised thong to keep them on your head, during frantic skeet sessions.

They must be endorsed by a least two well known Clay Champions, made by Beretta ,or Browning (both well known for their optical instruments :P ) and cost at least £100.

Be there, or be square. :P:P

Jono

There is an article in April issue of Sporting Gun.

Basically if you shoot at CPSA registered shoots, you have to wear safety specs.

So for woodies, and pigeon watch correspondence, flack jacket and safety hat yes; safety specs, not yet!

Now adays I have to wear glasses to see to shoot anyway, and I have yet to get around to some prescription shooting glasses. This could spell the end of my clay days at decent grounds if they impose a strict rule. I suffer from diabeties, which is affecting my eye sight. My prescription for glasses has changed 3 times in just over one year. I get free eye tests, but not free glasses. I am going to investigate the possibility of suitably toughened glasses, and wear them for driving and shooting.

webber

Tryied Contacts?

Red

Ive not tried contacts, they would be useless as safety specs!!, but I dont think thats what you mean.

Over 25 years ago contacts were not as popular as now, and I am sure that the technology has changed. However at the time I was an engineering technician in a glass works, and frequently worked with maintenance electricians.

One chap was made up with his new contacts, they were all the talk. We were working on a machine panel one day, the chap with the contacts had removed his safety specs because of sweat running down his brow. I dont know exactly what he did, but he blew a contactor to bits, **** and sparks everywhere. We worked on and covered up his clanger; but as we stayed back on overtime, he started to complain about his eyes. He finished up at Liverpool eye hospital in a bit of a mess. It seemed that the sparks or flash had somehow been magnified by the lenses and burn his eye. He always wore glasses after that, and so shall I.

I do however get the same framess re-glazed, so there is a saving there.

Thanks for the thought though.

webber