XP or vista

Owenwill

Decided it's high time to change the laptop for a new one, seen a pretty good deal on a Sony VAIO, was looking at the latest model with Windows Vista Home Premium, but then saw same model but with XP Media for over £100 less, what's the deal with Vista, is it worth the extra? Any advice appreciated :good:

I got a brand new system with a free upgrade to Vista. No software updates were needed to the hardware but on upgrading it kept crashing. Lost some of the kids' and holiday photos :rolleyes: Went back to XP Media all sorted. IE7 still has some compatibilty and security issues with some websites I hear.

I would imagine a purpose built system should be (a lot) more stable. But this is windoze after all :good:

Personally I would wait a little while with Vista.

Early adopters will always want to be first with all the new toys, they are a special breed and enjoy testing other companies products whilst paying for the privilege. There will always be one or two that don't have any problems and I am sure one of them will be along in a minute to tell me there's nothing wrong with vista :good:

Businesses wait until products are proven before investing in them, I waited until some of the major bugs in XP (and many many other operating systems before that) had been fixed before making the switch.

Kinda comes down to the question :- Do you want to get something done or spend more time fixing and faffing?

I have had Windows Vista Home premium since the day it came out, its a good OS but it is abit bloated, when running idle with only the minimal loaded it eats up 900MB memory just sitting there, thats almost 1gig of RAM, Iv got it running on 2gig of dual channel PC2-6400 memory and it runs smooth, 1gig it runs ok but can be a little stuttery.

I have the x64 bit edition of vista as im running a dual core AMD processor and there are a few apps out there that i use that still need to be developed to work with the x64 architechture.

I say go for it if your intregued and interested, if not then stick with XP.

My brother has Vista and I have to say I much prefer XP. Don't know if it's what i'm used to or not but he has had a few issues with it. Does your Mrs know your spending her money :huh::yes::good:

Does your missus still think that's a 300 quid Lanber in your cabinet? :lol::lol:

I got a laptop with home premium a couple months ago now. There has been the occaisional little glitch, but its doing pretty well now. I also have Ultimate 64 bit installed on my PC along side XP which has been very reliable. I couldn't use a HDD controller card for a while, but its sorted now. All of my other hardware/peripherals has worked from day one.

You can test your software etc.. if you download the vista upgrade advisor from microsoft. Vista does like RAM, go for a system with 2gb if yo do get one with vista.

Which VAIO were you looking at? I've go one of the C series which is very nice.

I got a laptop with home premium a couple months ago now. There has been the occaisional little glitch, but its doing pretty well now. I also have Ultimate 64 bit installed on my PC along side XP which has been very reliable. I couldn't use a HDD controller card for a while, but its sorted now. All of my other hardware/peripherals has worked from day one.

You can test your software etc.. if you download the vista upgrade advisor from microsoft. Vista does like RAM, go for a system with 2gb if yo do get one with vista.

Which VAIO were you looking at? I've go one of the C series which is very nice.

Funny you should say that! Just ordered a VAIO C series ( with XP ) off Dabs, down to £569, not bad considering the same machine I had demo of in Currys earlier was £870 ( with Vista ) Makes you wonder how they sell anything at those sort of prices :huh: Decided to stick with XP for now until Vista problems ironed out and maybe upgrade at later date

Are these problems just with the drivers, like old printers and scanners n stuff not been able to be used ?? seriously I need a new PC and need to know. I got told today in PC WORLD I would be better off getting Vista now rather than paying a couple of hundred quid later to have it installed, cheers for any advice lads.

My recommendation would be to hold off on Vista. I was in Redmond a couple months ago and spoke to a number of CIO/CISOs as well as a Gartner analyst and the general consensus was "good effort, but not ready for primetime...yet". Most said they'd wait a year to 18 months before rolling it out.

My $.02

• 3 months later...
I have had Windows Vista Home premium since the day it came out, its a good OS but it is abit bloated, when running idle with only the minimal loaded it eats up 900MB memory just sitting there, thats almost 1gig of RAM, Iv got it running on 2gig of dual channel PC2-6400 memory and it runs smooth, 1gig it runs ok but can be a little stuttery.

I have the x64 bit edition of vista as im running a dual core AMD processor and there are a few apps out there that i use that still need to be developed to work with the x64 architechture.

I say go for it if your intregued and interested, if not then stick with XP.

Me and my son are in the middle of a little pc build and intend on using vista 32 bit edition as the OS as more games are supported by this, 64 bit is said to be the more stable of the two but 64 bit also supports more ram, as a standard, 2 gigs or ram is what you need to run vista smoothley, personally I am going to wait till at least service pack 1 before buying vista, anyone in I.T. will agree with me that there are to many bugs in vista at the moment.

Stevethevanman

Decided it's high time to change the laptop for a new one, seen a pretty good deal on a Sony VAIO, was looking at the latest model with Windows Vista Home Premium, but then saw same model but with XP Media for over £100 less, what's the deal with Vista, is it worth the extra? Any advice appreciated :good:

im on vista the now and its brilliant. recomend it :D

You can skin XP so that it looks & feels like vista just isn't as flakey. I'm in the hanging on for SP1 crowd before making the move to it, the only possible advancement to that is micorsoft are withdrawing XP from sale in January so if I havn't upgraded my system by then I may not have the choice.