Nightvision for a 223??

Terry2016

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:21, oowee said:

Mate and i shoot with night vision every week. We have tried many different types including Photon, Trail 50, Drone, and head up systems. 

Key to our success has been thermal to spot and quality IR to identify target and shoot. Wide field of initial view for the shooter helps to identify location of the target once it's spotted with the thermal. Drone is probably the best for image quality but it can tie up a rifle. We use Ward 800.s which with a decent IR will give 400 yds. 

I have found;

The Drone 15x too narrow a field of view. The Photon's are variable in stability often with aim zero problems. The night master not as good as the Sunranger or the Blacksun. Thermal is not great for ID unless the target moves and is not legal for some quarry. Thermal will easily spot to half a mile.  

I would agree with this from a spotter point of view, I have an XQ38F and it's the best thing I have bought they are amazing.  Scope wise I have 2 Drones a MK1 and a MK2 and they are great.  Wardy if you don't want to tie a rifle up but the scope must be suitable.  Side focus and generally the top end stuff won't work because of their lens coatings although the Sightron STAC 2.5 - 17 is supposed to be superb with the Wardy.  I would definitely go Thermal for your spotter but digital for the shot.